Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 210

Jimmyk, Gary Kulp, kevinpackard, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Video Shelf
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gerd -

Are you suggesting we embed You Tube viewers for each video in the existing Photo Archive following a manner similar to what you've used in forum posts?

Since it appears that lengthy films must be parsed over several installments for You Tube, we could have a folder for each title, with individual entries for each segment with in that folder.

Sounds like an elegantly simple solution!

In addition to the aforementioned promo films, I know of about 15-20 filmstrip titles that have been transferred to video. Together, all of those could merit a separate "Packard Video Archive" feature. While there are far fewer dimension to consider than with books, I could supply title, year, and a very brief subject line, but not much else.

However, what do we do about recent original productions (which are copyrighted and likely will never be found on You Tube)? I would rather not clutter up the Bookshelf with DVDs.

Gotta run, but will check back later. Meanwhile, hopefully others with an interest will chime in with their thougths and opinions.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd vote for including a section for links to any pertinent video posted online wherever possible.

If that were done, am sure it would need a classification of professional or factory type vs the homegrown variety--and probably a quality standard should be maintained for anything referenced. Both have their merits but the factory type such as Gerd just linked in his Packard Plan thread would be a good start as well as the few 50s commercials available

Granted, in some cases the links may not be good after a time but if there was a title noted in the link as a means to search, it might at least let someone know a particular piece exists somewhere.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 16:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

Just caught your post as I logged out and was compelled to come back and respond.

If we use a Video Archive, patterned off of the Photo Archive (Gallery) template, we may have to acknowledge the limit to how many folder just off the root - titles may be too much to handle. So, as you've noted, perhaps primary folder classifications by:

Factory Promotional Films

Factory Salesman Training Filmstrips

Factory TV Commercials

...followed by sub-folders within for title of the complete video, then entries within each sub-folder for the individual segments.

Though I've never seen any transferred to video, I've found reference to films and filmstrips for service training in the service newsletters, and what a catch these would be. However, the exact classification for this material escapes me at the moment.

I'm not sure how to classify homegrown videos, either, but "Shows & Meets" nd "Museums" come to mind. Yet, I'm wondering what heading we should file works like Mr. Pushbutton's actuator test - perhaps under the greater umbrella of "Restoration". However, I suggest we avoid homegrown video that's merely a mash-up of other footage that's already covered elsewhere (and better).

I'm also not sure how to classify quality - perhaps as an element for each segment/entry. I'll leave that up to the online videophiles to hash out.

I'll be more than happy to contribute a full list of titles that I know, but I suggest one person handle initial entry of known material. (This should be someone other than me, as I'm not sure how much longer I will be available.) That person could also provide edit for things like addition/corrected info, repair of broken links. Any takers?

In view of some of the past problems with spammers, I'm also concerned about the potential for abuse if we opened the floodgates to public entry.

Probably need some input from BigKev as to what's do-able, before we go too far down the path.

Meanwhile, let's hear from others, too.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 16:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The PackardInfotube

Brian, the main menue already contains 13 links. My intention was to combine the video shelf with an existing shelf (photo archive or bookshelf):

1) for reasons of clarity of the main menue
2) to perhaps use an existing structure (photo archive)

Quote:
...Granted, in some cases the links may not be good after a time but if...

Howard, absolutely right, they need maintenance. To cut a corner it could be an idea to use Youtube to collect and store the videos. Youtube is made for it and Kev would save disk space and management time.

Click to see original Image in a new window

step one
If we create a PackardInfo account (a so-called channel) on Youtube and store a link and the related password in the video shelf (visible for members only) then every member could upload videos to the PackardInfo account on Youtube to build up a video database. Additional everyone could download known videos from the web to upload them to the PackardInfo account on Youtube.

step two
To classify and sort them, to arrange and comment them the new video shelf on PackardInfo.com gets into the play. There we could use the Youtube viewer to embed the previously collected Youtube videos. Perhaps we could create an online form with blanks to fill in.

sources:
pic #1: www.stayonsearch.com
pic #2: www.fr-online.de
pic #3: www.customvideopros.com
pic #4: www.mbd2.com

Attach file:

jpg  (19.68 KB)
757_4ee69c793979a.jpg 550X330 px

Posted on: 2011/12/12 19:02
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gerd -

I appreciate your concern for the number of Main Menu selections, but is it really much of a problem?

Perhaps it's merely a matter of my perspective, but I don't care for the idea of lumping anything other than printed matter in with the Bookshelf. The data elements were selected specifically with books in mind, and my intent for that feature was as a guide to titles that couldn't, wouldn't, and shouldn't be scanned and uploaded here.

The format of the Photo Archive seems more plausible, but I seem to recall, from a few years back, that it had reached the maximum number of folders at the root level. Therefore, I suggested a separate feature and menu item, but hoped it might follow the Gallery template to avoid extensive programming.

I fully agree with having You Tube collect and store the videos, and like the idea of remote linking with the embedded viewers. However, I'm not familiar enough with the function of a "channel" to say that it is needed, especially if there are sufficient number of titles already out there that we could simply link to.

Would a dedicated You Tube channel afford more control over what comes in and goes out, thus, solving the problem of broken video links at PackardInfo?

Password protection for the feature at PackardInfo seems redundant, since one must already be member and sign-in to post or upload anything to this site. Or, you are planning on also using the PackardInfo feature as a route to You Tube (and channel) for uploading?

Certainly, a form could be developed, as it with the Bookshelf, to collect additional data for the entries in this new feature at PackardInfo. We just have to decide what additional data to collect. However, I think the primary classifications should be predefined - lest the users create too many.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 22:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I appreciate your concern for the number of Main Menu selections, but is it really much a problem?...

No, not a problem. A suggestion. Ignore it.

Quote:
...Perhaps it's merely a matter of my perspective, but I don't care for the idea of lumping anything other than printed matter in with the Bookshelf. The data elements were selected specifically with books in mind, and my intent for that feature was as a guide to titles that couldn't, wouldn't, and shouldn't be scanned and uploaded here...

Quote:
...The format of the Photo Archive seems more plausible, but I seem to recall, from a few years back, that it had reached the maximum number of folders at the root level...

Yes but much to my astonishment, Kevin added a couple of additional folders after reaching the maximum. I think he found out a new trick.

Quote:
...I fully agree with having You Tube collect and store the videos, and like the idea of remote linking with the embedded viewers. However, I'm not familiar enough with the function of a "channel" to say that it is needed, ...

Channel or not would be just a question of "corporate identity". We, the members, would watch the videos on PackardInfo.com. But how about the usual Youtube users? A channel would offer the opportunity to "catch" new members by the help of links, by using the same (website) design, to make a statement related to copyrights etc.
To store our videos an usual Youtube account (without channel) is sufficient.

Quote:
...especially if there are sufficient number of titles already out there that we could simply link to...

To link to videos outside of our PackardInfotube would be counterproductive because in the long run we would lose the videos.

Quote:
...Password protection for the feature at PackardInfo seems redundant, since one must already be member and sign-in to post or upload anything to this site...

Sorry for creating misunderstandings. To upload videos to a Youtube account one need a password. Now we have three ways:

a) Kevin and Mr. X know the password of the PackardInfotube. Bad solution, because more work for less people.

b) The ambassadors know it. Again bad. Let's use the energy of the community.

c) The password is accessible for members - but not for guests (too open to abuse).

Quote:
...Or, you are planning on also using the PackardInfo feature as a route to You Tube (and channel) for uploading?...

No, Youtube as database and the new shelf on PackardInfo to classify, sort, comment and show the collected (linked) videos.

[picture source (slightly changed):http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/]

Attach file:

jpg  (57.24 KB)
757_4ee755705e373.jpg 500X406 px

Posted on: 2011/12/12 23:03
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi All,

On the topic of videos, I have acquired a large collection of 1948-51 filmstrips. I am in the process of converting these to DVD possibly to sell... (similar to those available on ebay etc) These take quite a few hours of work to convert but I was wondering is there any copyright still imposed on these videos? I have uploaded a preview to:

Know the 24th Series Pt 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2aVmZFNyw&feature=youtu.be

Posted on: 2013/6/9 7:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
If Kev's OK with it and supports it then I think a Packard Videos archive would be awesome. Just to mention, what about about home movies? there must be hundreds of folks who have 50's and even 60's converted 35mm home movie clips from vacations or whatever that captured Packards that their families owned or others that were simply caught in the footage. I know that I still have some home movies that my dad took around 1960 or so at the Palatka Azalea Festival that features some beautiful new convertibles parading all the contestants for Azalea Queen down Main Street. They weren't Packards of course but the film serves as an excellent example of capturing the era and displaying some terrific cars that were admired then and still are today.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 7:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved