Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

When did high test gas get so ridiculous?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I usually go to Costco for gas, where my car is much happier with the gas formerly known as Ethyl. Generally, "Ethyl" has been 20-25 cents more per gallon.

In driving by other gas stations I have noticed a push to sell such gas as "Super Premium" (or similar) for lots more than the usual 20-25 cents extra.

Is this a local aberration? Or is it the latest salvo in the war to make more money while not providing anything better? Sort of a sin tax, like that on alcohol?

Posted on: 2013/6/22 16:36
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: When did high test gas get so ridiculous?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
It's a leftover from the two refinery problems in your region in the last couple of months. It will settle down in a couple of months.

Posted on: 2013/6/22 18:33
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
When I was 15-16 years old, I worked as a pump jockey/grease monkey at a Mobil service station in San Marino, Calif. What we sold was regular and premium gasoline. As I recall, regular was about 91 octaine, while premium was 97 octaine. The only thing higher in octaine was aircraft fuel. Premium was what I used in my 1960 Ford Sunliner, which loved it so much that it drank it in copious amounts! Funny, the Ford also had a 352 cid V-8, with a Holley 4 bbl carb, not unlike my Clipper; but the Sunliner was much, much faster and could leave rubber in first and second gears.

Now premium gasoline is supposed to be at least 95 octaine, not the 93 octaine being passed off as top grade these days. Compound this fact by adding 10 percent ethanol and what you have is a concoction of low-powered crud that our cars were never designed to consume. So Costco, or other gas stations, can call the stuff they sell Super Dooper Extra High Test Royal Premium, but as long as it contains lower levels of octaine and ethanel, then real premium is simply a thing of the past.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 19:20
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
out here in so ca, all i see is 91 oct.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 21:28
Riki
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dano55400
See User information
Mr Rumble I'm from Arcadia what station did you work at? I'm in my late 40s and my grandpa had a station on Michelinda.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 1:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
It may not be that easy to find ethanol-free gas, but this site helps.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

You can also go to local airports and bring a couple 5-gal cans to purchase aviation fuel in hopes your Packard (non-Merlin) engine can fly. With leaded, ethanol-free gas, it might...and the price is sky-high, too, at about $5.60 a gal.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, that is great site. Thanks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved