Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 205

Todd W. White, Joe Krzan, Bob J, kevinpackard, Darrell, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

PAC and PI Meets
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Am I to understand that the Packards International (PI) and the Packards Automobile Classics (PAC) meets took place on the same week in the same area? If so, this does neither club any good. Let's get together. Please.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/27 22:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: PAC and PI Meets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if they are having an actual meet or is more part of a driving tour. Their being close is probably part of the joint tour announced with the Lincoln Highway Association.http://www.packardsinternational.com/LHA_Tour.php

As to getting together, maybe someday it will happen. As more of the old timers in both clubs that were present or involved with the split are gone then who knows.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 22:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, thanks for the clarification. We can't change the past, but we can make a difference in the present, and put efforts into making the future better. Let's get together - after all it is all about our love for the Packard Motor Cars. Come on!

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/27 22:32
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Actually that did happen once although not in the same physical location. The 1999 event, PI was in Cleveland while PAC was in Warren.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 6:15
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Ah yes. That was the event where PAC members brought out over 1,000 Packards to Warren. PI members brought out about 40 Packards to Cleveland.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 7:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I don't think it is about Packards, as it is about The Lincoln Highway.

www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org

Posted on: 2013/6/28 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
PI usually holds their annual meet in Orange California each January/February every year. Many beautiful cars are always in attendence. I attended twice given the proximity from Tucson.

Reference the 1999 Warren Ohio 100th Anniversary Packard (PAC) meet I understand it was fabulous. I got a taste of it through friends like AL from Salem. He provided me with some hard copies of rows and rows of cars and other festivities. I had my 400 for less than a year at that point.

I too struggle with the past controversy between the clubs. Maybe one day we could have a reunification tour and or meet?

That Lincoln Highway tour looks like fun!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
I am a PAC member, not a PI member and was going to post an inquiry on the forum here asking about whether members here are members (generally speaking) of BOTH clubs or just one.

I don't care for rumors but heard that PI has a problem getting publications out on a timely basis.

I'm generally considered poor so I can't afford a pre war Packard. I'll appreciate the classics and pre wars vicariously at meets.

As to the Lincoln Highway, I can say it's wonderful and worth the trip to access it when you can.

I live basically on the Lincoln Highway and consider it superior to Route 66. In Iowa, the state has worked with the non profit to put up signs and a map is available. It was replaced by Highway 30, so if a person accesses it at one river, you can follow it through, hit and miss, and still be on a major highway for convenience.

When I get my Packards restored, I will "do" the Lincoln Highway annually. But, for an instance, last Saturday I went to see those 3 Packards the cow pasture (Super Clipper, Super Deluxe, Ambulance) and used Highway 30, pulling over in several towns that have the Lincoln Highway passing through them, now sleepy as they were by-passed by the four lane divided Hwy 30.

You see old brick and mortar shop buildings, dealerships and at least 2 gas stations in about every town. Motels, old bridges, derelict gas stations abound. Some restaurants.

I can't vouch for Nebraska, Illinois or other states re: Lincoln Hwy, but I think it's gathered steam here in Iowa and replaced Route 66 as the go to automobile heritage destination in the next 20-30 years.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 9:29
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
JW of Austin, TX asked:

"Am I to understand that the Packards International (PI) and the Packards Automobile Classics (PAC) meets took place on the same week in the same area?"

Since I was the 2013 PAC National Meet Director I thought this question was directed toward me.

So, perhaps I can answer your question and give you some background. BTW, I have been a member of both PAC and PI for 23 years. The direct answer is:
No, PI and PAC neither held their (National) Meets at the same time, nor in the same location.

? PI held their Golden Anniversary (50th Year) Membership Meeting from February 15 to 17, 2013, (4 1/2 months ago) at the Double Tree Hotel in Orange, California.

? PAC held their 60th Anniversary (48th Annual) Meet from June 23 to June 28 (2 days ago) at the Marriott Centerpoint Hotel in Pontiac, MI.

Both clubs had their meets posted on their respective websites months in advance as well as many mailings to members. Additionally, Big Kev was kind enough to post the PAC Meet notice on the Home Page when I asked him and there were at least 4 threads under Packard Forums > Shows and Events discussing the PAC Meet.

PI members know that their Meet generally occurs at the same timeframe (mid-February) and at the same location year after year. PAC members know that their Meet generally occurs at the same timeframe (late June/early July), but rotates to different locations each year where a regional club is located. This year Motor City Packards was the host region.

JW, I hope this answers your question.

Now, to an explanation about the Lincoln Highway Tour that some posters have commented on. The Lincoln Highway Associationhttp://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/ is an organization that is separate and distinct from both PI and PAC. They schedule their own events.

Initially MCP scheduled the PAC Meet for the first full week in July 2013. Then around October/November of 2010 (yes, 2 ? years ago) I received an e-mail from a PAC member working on the LHA Centennial Tour if I knew LHA Tour was scheduled for July 4th? My answer, no I did not, but I was very aware of Henry B. Joy's contributions to the Lincoln Highway.

I was already in negotiations with the host hotel and had many other event plans in the works. My review at that time was the LHA Driving Tours cater to another sort of auto enthusiast. Tour fees were $350 for car and driver and $225 for each additional passenger. Cars were supposed to be limited to 25 years or older, but is seems LHA later dropped that requirement to boost attendance.

Nonetheless, we re-worked our Meet and scheduled it for a week earlier - June 23-28. This would give the PAC Meet guests the opportunity to make the LHA meeting on July 4th. Then, during the summer of 2012 I received another inquiry to move our meet schedule again as the LHA was beginning their east and west coast tours on June 22. It was too late to change at that point - we had deposit money at risk and too many things were in motion.

If you have ever planned a National Meet where you expect 100+ cars and 500+ people for 6 full days of events, then you might have some appreciation for the task at hand. We had guests in from as far away as South Africa and England.

BTW, I personally know some of the Packard drivers that toured the LHA and I missed them at the PAC Meet. A list of the cars attending the LHA can be found here:http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/tour/2013/cars/ Total cars registered: 83, of that 34 where build before 1958 -the same year that Packard went away. Another 19 were foreign makes and finally, 10 were Packards, including Henry B. Joy's 1914 Packard out of Santa Clara, CA.

Finally, I know that some of the 2013 PAC Meet guests were traveling to Kearney, NB and this included several members of the PAC Board of Trustees.

For those of you who were not able to attend the 2013 PAC National Meeting I have attached a digital copy of the Meet booklet to see what you missed.

Sincerely, Roger Luksik, 2013 PAC National Meet Director

P.S. Opps! The Meet file was too large. PM me with your direct EM address and I will send you a digital version.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 11:59
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Roger, my question was a generally directed one, and not intended to you specifically. Never the less, thanks for your time and efforts in providing an expanded explanation. Lots of events occurring at the same time, and the PAC national meet must have been a scheduling challenge. Good job and thanks for your time and efforts getting the meet arrangements all together.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/30 12:08
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved