Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 200

Tobs, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tool Kit for a 1929 closed car
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi all,

I keep discovering things that my car (1929 Seven Passenger Sedan)is missing...the latest is the tools that once existed in that vinyl (sort of) tool kit that lives in the front passenger kick panel. All that remains of mine are the six empty little pouches where tools once lived. I have seen some tools on E-Bay in the last few days which the seller claims are the "factory" tools. I know nothing of this topic, so my questions are numerous:
1. What tool should actually occupy these 6 empty spaces?
2. Was there a "factory" manufacturer?
3. Are they hard to find?
4. are they something I might find at Hershey...making my first trip this year.
5. Are they insanely expensive if I do find them?
6. as with so many other items (as I am learning), are there one or two sources where someone might acquire said tools?

Will someone please educate me on this topic. As always, I am forever indebted to the accumulated knowledge on this site. Please don't any of you go away until I have learned all you know!

Posted on: 2013/7/18 14:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Tool Kit for a 1929 closed car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I have a good friend who is obsessed about all things OE tool kits. He lives within 1/2 hour of Hershey and sets up a huge display every year. I can ask him to keep a look out for your specific tool kit, but I would guess that he would know, (and have) what you lack, right off the top of his head.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear JW:

Here is a picture.

The tools were cheap stuff only useful as a guide to not overtightening parts. But they are easy to find generic.

In the picture the water pump wrench looks more like a Ford wrench as the Packard wrench was a really cheap riveted piece of junk.

You can get the listing via the parts book.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.16 KB)
373_51e86c5e0d4ac.jpg 700X525 px

Posted on: 2013/7/18 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hello,

Once again, the people on this site have renewed my sometimes misguided belief that I can actually complete the restoration of this art deco era masterpiece. Thank you for the information. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2013/7/19 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi Ray,

Thanks very much. Can I ask you to send me the contact information for your tool expert? I will make arrangements to find him at Hershey. Thanks again for your response.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
jwogec, you might also consider buying or borrowing a copy of the Reedy & Shaub book "Packard Automobile Company - Jacks and Tools" which has numerous illustrations of tools including engineering drawings for some, as well as tool lists for some years and models. You'll find some information on the book in the "Packard Bookshelf" in the Main Menu.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 11:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rodney Dahlgren
See User information
Reminds me when I took the 29 I restored to a show and the judges, after just inspecting the Model A Ford in my class that had a complete tool kit laid out for display, asked to see the Packard tool kit.. Since I had NO tool kit in the car I responded with: "TOOL KIT? This is a PACKARD, it does not NEED a tool kit!" Seems they were NOT impressed.. The Model A Ford took first in class.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 22:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
From what I understand, an accessory should not be judged negatively if absent. I have seen many a tool kit and other accessories, but always believed that that was more an owner desire, than a judging criteria.

But of course, I have two basket cases and a "used car" driver.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You can find the Ford tools at almost any flea market car or non-car, but the Packard stuff isn't so easy.

As can been seen, collecting them really serves no purpose.

Why not ask for the crank as well?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
The tool kit for a 1929 Packard was a canvas roll that had many compartments for the wrenches, screwdrivers, punch, hammer, etc. I don't believe that it was an accessory. When they shipped a car, Packard included with it an inventory of the items included, which indicated the tools and roll and had the serial number stamped on the top of the inventory.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2013/8/4 12:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved