Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 193

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: AC/Blackstone Fuel Pumps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
As I understand it the original heat shield mounting bracket is held on by the rear fuel pump mounitng bolt. That may require slightly different washers.

I have a new replica heat shield and mounting bracket and I intend to install it together with new insulator tubes and washers.

It all looks very complex and hard to install. That is probably why the heat shield and other parts were missing when I got my car. Installing the lock wire into the two bolts looks nearly impossible with the engine inside the car.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 9:51
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred - you probably already know this but fuel pump, shield, and security-wired bolt installation is quite easily done by access thru the inner fender with the front wheel removed. A "piece of cake" as they say.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In twenty plus years of working on Packards, only one car has come in here with the fuel pump safety wired and certainly none have left with that feature--and never a problem with bolts coming loose. It is unimportant beyond your wildest dreams.
To install the shield: install the rear support arm horizontal in place of the steel washer that might be there on the rear fuel pump bolt. Slip the slot over the screw and mount the top bracket to the front manifold stud. Tighten the screw. Done.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 12:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross, I agree - completely non-essential. Yet if I were installing such a pump today thru the inner fender, I'd be tempted to rewire it, just because it's an interesting little original factory assembly detail that to some is worth the few minutes extra work just to preserve that detail.

Can anyone hear them arguing 40 years from now if the pump bolts were safety-wired?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 13:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The pump on my car was safety wired when I got it.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 13:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Ross, I agree - completely non-essential. Yet if I were installing such a pump today thru the inner fender, I'd be tempted to rewire it, just because it's an interesting little original factory assembly detail that to some is worth the few minutes extra work just to preserve that detail.

Can anyone hear them arguing 40 years from now if the pump bolts were safety-wired?

I dunno OD, I'm only 61 so I plan on being here in 40 years to join that argument when they're debating about why the bolt heads have holes in them...

Posted on: 2013/9/19 7:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved