Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

Todd W. White, Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 37 120 Dashboard removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
If you are fairly good with your hands, the Grain-it-technology kit can give good results on re-woodgraining the dash. Just be sure to use their base coat spray paint, as it takes the wood grain ink very well - you can wipe it off with a rag if/when you mess it up. I worked on the dash on my 39 120 for several weeks, and did it three times until I was happy with it. Here's what it looked like later.

Attach file:

jpg  (157.82 KB)
1679_4f05c69cc04e2.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have no direct experience with particular model and dashboard, but I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that Packard ever intended that the dash be removed to replace instrument light bulbs or service the wiper motor. It may be congested under there and an unpleasant job, but I just can't believe it can't be done w/o dash removal.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 11:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree with O_D. I have removed the windshield wiper motor and replaced some instrument light bulbs on my 115C convertible without removing the panel. I had to remove the seat cushion to have enough room, and placed some old blankets over the seat frame for some cushioning for the old back. Tight space under there and an uncomfortable position, but it can be done.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/5 11:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
I have replaced gauges, bulbs, vacuum tube and more on my 37 115C. A very good light is a must, a rubber mat placed on floor for your back is must, a helper to grab any tool you call out for, and glasses to prevent dust from eyes is a must. Oh yea, patience is a must! RL

Posted on: 2013/9/26 11:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Hi RVSLS,
Nice looking Packard the 120's look better without sidemounts.
I just had my 1099 panel apart it's time consuming, when I did mine the floor board , toe board,transmission were out
and it's still a bit of a job unless you're twenty years old.

The heater maybe in the way of working on the wiper motor, it should come out by removing the two mounting nuts on the firewall & of course the water connections & blower power.
Wiper motor mounts on two studs ( very small), you need to be careful with the control , I think it's easier to bring it out with the motor than disconnect it but as you have seen there is a lot of wire,etc. in the way. Just take your time take pictures, notes& mark things.

There two lamps in speedometer one is for high beam, the instrument cluster has 3 ? or 4 they should be fairly easy but still take some time.

Unless You want to do something to the windshield frame leave it alone it has 10 bolts, weather seal, etc.

Obviously having mine apart as it was gave an advantage.

Packard 385

Posted on: 2013/9/29 0:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved