Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'56 Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Fellas, I mentioned in my topic about rear axle bearings that I was also going to renew the brakes with woven linings hoping to achieve better braking with reduced pedal pressure. The job's just been completed so I thought you might like an update. By the way, I wasn't familiar with woven brake lining material and was advised to use this by the brake and clutch shop. Interestingly, the fellow behind the counter who advised that also reckoned that I'd get better braking with similar length linings at the rear, but more on this later.

Because of the length of this car and the difficulties in my shed of being able to get both ends high enough to work on, I decided it would be better to work on each end as a separate project. Completing the fronts first would also allow me to attend the Studebaker Club's concours (last Saturday) before attacking the rears. So, wheel cylinders were dissassembled, cleaned and lubed, and then reassembled with new cups. The newly relined shoes were then fitted and brakes adjusted and bled. The drums had been machined about 18 months ago so were left as is. The drive to the concours showed some improved braking but not significantly so.

Next the rears. After dismantling I spoke to the fellow who actually does the machining at the brake shop and he was strongly opposed to having similar length linings so I told him to do what he thought best. What was particularly interesting was his advice that the rear (rivetted) linings and drums were heavily glazed and their contribution to the braking effort would have been bugger all. Was this the cause of my braking woes? Time would tell. Anyway, the drums were machined and new woven linings fitted to the shoes. The assembly process was the same as the fronts, which included doing the wheel cylinders with new cups and bleeding. An initial drive showed some definite improvement and hopefully the improvement will continue as the linings bed-in.

I've attached some pic's so that others not familiar with woven linings can see for themselves. The first two are the fronts and the ones branded made in Brazil are the rears.

By the way, I'm now starting to think a little more about a remote master cylinder reservoir as it's a real PITA trying to add fluid down under the steering column. Has anyone done this and how did you approach the plumbing part of it?

Attach file:

jpg  (142.85 KB)
237_5257945cf2f5f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (180.38 KB)
237_52579492d772c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (157.59 KB)
237_525794d5c465f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/10/11 1:04
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I just noticed RIKI's project in the BTV "Treadle Lightly" topic where he machines a new cap for the master. Is this what we have to do and can something like this be bought over the counter as it would be impractical sending a lump of brass over to the US. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2013/10/11 1:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Concerning your glazed rear linings: very important on any car with drum brakes is that the linings rest on the anchor pin when not in use.

Often the emergency brake adjustment is pulled up too far which holds the shoes away from the anchor; then the shoes are not centered up in the drum and you also will not get the self servo action they are supposed to provide.

Back off the equalizer in the center of the car till the cables are quite slack (and also, of course, free moving). Then do your normal adjustment at the wheel to your satisfaction. Afterwards adjust the equalizer till the slack is out of the cables and any lost motion in the mechanisms is taken up.

When this is done properly, there is never a need to tighten the equalizer as the linings wear and the handbrake becomes less effective; adjustment is always made at the wheel.

This may seem a minor point but I find it has a very large effect on the capacity of the brakes and I have sent many folks home with a big improvement in their brakes by means of ten minutes of adjusting.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 7:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Where can one buy these woven linings here in the states?

Posted on: 2013/10/11 8:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
jp

the size for cap

1-1/4-18 thread.

see about buying a bolt that size, in the US 15.00 bucks so i made my own

see my blog for more pictures,,under riki's 56 ultra.

i will make you one,, if you want.

that air gap is gone, had to just lift off reservoir and let air out

Attach file:

jpg  (71.83 KB)
4498_52588f4aa9b73.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2013/10/11 18:52
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
What are the linning made from apppears the material is called brazil or is that the source. If it has asbestos in iy I would like to have some of the material. As our saftey fathers in Washington have deemed that bad for us along with many other products while taking care of us

Posted on: 2013/10/11 20:45
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Where can one buy these woven linings here in the states?

Randy, if nobody else comes with a better idea then get on the phone. Try to get in contact with the Brazilian manufacturer Duroline who has a representative in the US.
Or send an e-mail to the Chinese company Talfri. But take care and don't hastily sign ...

Attach file:

jpg  (17.09 KB)
757_52593c2aeb41c.jpg 500X342 px

Posted on: 2013/10/12 7:10
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Well, this sources sound more familiar.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 7:41
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Well, this sources sound more familiar.

And with Guscha pointing the way, looks like McMaster has it under friction fabric, brake and clutch material. Lots of choices in that category but a couple of items look like they might be candidates to those in the photos.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 8:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm really very anxious to hear of your driving experiences with the woven lining once the car is back on the road. Restoration shops that do work on very vintage vehicles use woven lining (readily available in rolls) for those vehicles, though it was my understanding that woven material was abandoned in favor of modern molded and composite linings because they offer better frictional and heat transfer (resistance to fade) properties than woven, so if I had to guess I think you'll find them less satisfactory than new modern linings. But the final proof of which is better now will come from your experience with it and I await your results with great interest.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 9:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved