Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 217

William Grosz, kevinpackard, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Picked up my daily driver and was told the tires are again rotted....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Strikes me this is an issue for all of us.

Is there any kind of coating that can help with this problem?

Really help?

Obviously it is too late now, but what can/should I do for the next set?

Is this a proven answer, or a speculative reply?

Posted on: 2013/10/14 19:14
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Picked up my daily driver and was told the tires are again rotted....
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U have two eyes in you head. Use them. How do they look to you???
If the tyres are less than 15 years old (im more tempted to less than 30 years) then most likely the tire shop is feeding u a line of pure d'shit.
I ran a set of OEM FACTORY INSTALLED tyres on my 89 caprice for 22 years and there was no sign of rot. They were worn. Replaced with new tires.
Two eyes, two ears. Use them.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 20:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What are they calling rotted? Mine were what they call dry checked when I replaced them a few months ago. Maybe the same thing??

While I have little use for their stuff on the interior, the tire shop suggested using one of the Armorall tire products as an ozone and drying preventative.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 20:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What brand. How old.
I have a grooming mower made by LAND PRIDE. HAS IT OVER 20 years. The tires on it dry rotted in about 5 years. But that is Ag equipment not automotive.

If the tyres are indeed dry rotted and less than 10 years old i definately would buy a differwnt brand and from a differwnt dealer.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 20:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
What brand. How old.

Mine were the OEM Firestones. Approx 14 yrs although less than 20K on them.

The hot dry weather here does not help the situation. I know from experience when they reach the condition mine were in it is prudent to change them before doing any substantial highway driving .

Posted on: 2013/10/14 21:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think we have discussed this before, but tires today do not have the time life that we used to get. Modern tires are made to disintegrate over time. Exposure to direct sunlight will hasten the aging. The new chemistry being used to make tires is to eliminate the large number that accumulate in recyclers yards and cause health and environmental problems like breeding places for mosquitoes and air pollution when they catch fire. New tire retailers cannot sell a tire that is more than a certain age based on the date code of the tire. The good news is they do last longer, mileage wise. Some say 5 years is the optimum life of these newer tires. Good idea to check the date code of tires you are buying and get the newest ones.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/14 21:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Mazda Tribute

It is an outdoor pet

Michelin six years; 25-30,000 miles

Sidewall checking, Replacement not urged; just told they could tell I don't drive it much so keep an eye on them...

Posted on: 2013/10/14 23:08
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Pat, yes there is a product. It's called 303.Myself and others use it extensively here in Phoenix, Arizona. A good friend who has a truck yard here did extensive testing on it several decades ago and found beyond a doubt it retarded weather checking and extended the life of the tire exposed to the sun. It also seems to help keep the rubber supple.

That said, be very careful with modern radial tires with regards to age and depending on the environment they live in. I believe that as mentioned some get 20 years out of radials, and others, including myself in harsh climates as here in Phoenix get 4 years. I also think use is a factor, as when radials sit they don't seem to work the chemicals in the tires and tend to not stay a supple. Oddly, bias and original mold bias reproduction tires don't seem to suffer from effects of age near as bad as radial tires. I've got sets that are well in excess of 20 years that are fine. One might argue it's because there not in the sun. Not really the case, because radials stored the exact same way are known here in this climate to spontaneously rupture belting and explode like a shotgun blast right where they sit.

Bottom line, be vary careful with aged tires in general, especially radial tires. I continue to use 303 and believe it to afford benefit in this and other climates but don't profess it to truly extend life beyond manufacturers recommended life.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 23:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I run a set of Wards Riversides on my model T Ford I put on in 1965.

They look fine. Pressure is 50 psi.

Probably petrified :)

Jim

Posted on: 2013/10/15 19:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oddly, bias and original mold bias reproduction tires don't seem to suffer from effects of age near as bad as radial tires.

I agree with 39Super8 on this, there is plenty of evidence that bias-ply tires have far longer lives than radials when it comes to resistance to age-checking, cracking, etc. For collector cars driven a limited number of miles per year, it's much more likely that you'll never get the benefit of longer tread life that's inherent in radials.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 22:36
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved