Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 222

BigKev, Tobs, Ozstatman, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 33 »

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician Rebuild Project
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WC
See User information
The lack of a number stamped on the motor boss *could* mean that it was a "service replacement" motor. I know someone with a '56 Patrician who bought a replacement motor many years ago that carried no number and he never bothered to try and stamp it. Also, some 1955's made it out of the factory without stamping due mainly to production tie-ups but were factory original motors. This motor would seem to be a '56 Clipper motor but *could* have been a "service replacement" done by a dealer if he had access to a 352 and not a 374. Or, if it proves to be a 374, maybe someone liked the green better than the bronze. In any event, it proves my belief that half of what's wrong with a Packard when you get it is due to the idiot before you.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 18:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Go over the area with a wire brush to remove all the paint and rust (bare metal) then rub the area with a piece of chalk, and then wipe it off. It should make the number visible if it was ever there.

That is how I was able to read the number on my motor, as the stamping was not very pronounced.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 12:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
In any event, it proves my belief that half of what's wrong with a Packard when you get it is due to the idiot before you
Amen Brother!

Posted on: 2013/10/24 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Troy,

If you look at the cast numbers on the top of the block, and the Utica stamp on the bottom, as mentioned by HH and OD, I think it will tell you what engine you have.

What are the cast numbers on the heads? It is under the rocker covers.

While your under the car, see if your transmission is painted bronze. There are numbers stamped on the back of transmission, under the rear housing.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 13:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a picture of where the Utica number is (or should be) on the transmission; at the rear end of the main housing, just above the pan and below the tailshaft, and to the left. The meaning of the other set of numbers is unknown to me, as are the letters though some have speculated that like some other makes they are the initials of the person who assembled the trans.

The transmissions used the same prefix letters as the engines, A & B for the two Clipper series, C for the Caribbeans, and D for the Patricians and 400s. On the Utica engine numbers, AA, BB or DD indicated the engine was built with a flywheel for standard shift, there was no CC code for Caribbeans.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.12 KB)
177_526969a3ce122.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/10/24 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
CONFIRMED KILL. The block is a 440275. Someone pulled the 374 and replaced it with a 354 Clipper Engine. Calling the seller now, it was sold as a original survivor with the 374. Someone Lied!!!!!!! I got a lead on a new 374 still in the crate. Not a happy camper at this point.

Got to Agree with (WC) "half of what's wrong with a Packard when you get it is due to the idiot before you."

Posted on: 2013/10/24 18:29
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Sorry to hear your '56 Patrician has a 352". That happens often, but the seller did misrepresent it to you.

It would be interesting to discuss just how much the car has been devalued. On the one hand, in normal driving, you'd never notice the difference. On the other hand, it should be what it is supposed to be and what you paid for. I've bought a few running 374"s for $1000 and the labor to swap one in would be at least $500 more. The cost to rebuild either is about the same. The 374" pistons are about $150 more.

FWIW, there are probably ten '56 Studebaker Golden Hawks with 374"s I've build for them, including a couple with the Caribbean 2x4 setup. Sometimes owners upgraded instead of cheaping out.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/10/24 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the paint definitely 56 Clipper turquoise or is it more a 55 blue. I'm wondering if it might have been one of the service engines as detailed in bulletin 55T-33. Those were 352's. Perhaps the dealer had one in stock and made someone a good deal. Still doesn't excuse the "original" part but since you didn't find a VN on the engine, it is sounding more like a service engine rather than a swap from a later Clipper.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 19:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Well, now since I am not numbers matching with a jerked over engine swap, I certainly am not going to sink the money I had planed into a restore that is not original. I will just pull the engine and Tranny and replace the seals since the engine does run and paint to original bronze, rework the suspension, minor bodywork and just drive it for pure enjoyment since the investment is now gone. Note to self, move slower next time and seek verification of sellers story.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 20:26
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WC
See User information
Unfortunately, I've had a lifetime of experience with what idiots can do to a Packard. I'm 63 and bought my first Packard at 17. I've owned too many to write about but have a degree from The School of Hard Knocks as a result. People "embellish the truth" or don't know squat about Packards (or bought a lie from some jerk and are passing it on as truth) and somebody pays. Just remember- experience ain't cheap, if it was everybody would have it.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 21:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved