Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

Tom (Packin31), Christopher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Braking my 38
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
Great job on the disc brakes. Would you mind telling what rotors, calipers and bearings were used for this?

Posted on: 2013/11/26 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

JohnCobb wrote:
Great job on the disc brakes. Would you mind telling what rotors, calipers and bearings were used for this?

I would really like to take credit for the setup but it's the disk brake kit from Kanter

Posted on: 2013/11/26 9:03
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
To my recollection, this is the first post of an actual installation of the Kanter kit on a pre-war Packard. I am certain there are many of us that would be VERY interested in how smooth the installation, instructions, and if limited adaptations were required.

Please, elaborate on your experience and satisfaction.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I mean this response as no disrespect:
I'm assuming that you have also mounted radial tires. Since the stock brake set-up is perfectly fine when using bias ply tires, the only way to improve braking with the discs is to also use radial tires. If you're using bias ply tires with disc brakes, I think the advantages are nil.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 11:09
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
to continue under the respectful tone:

I agree with West that the tires, not the brakes, are more critical - in the initial stops. The disks would benefit in repeated stops for fade resistance.

The brakes' job is to contact the pad with what's going around, and the tires' job is to provide friction with the ground

Posted on: 2013/11/26 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Yep using radials Diamondback 700R 15

Posted on: 2013/11/26 12:07
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Finally got to try out my new brakes- they sure do stop the car. I'm going to do a little more experimenting to see if I really need the power booster. With the booster working the pedal feel is just like all my other modern cars, but it would look a little better if the booster wasn't there. But if you want brakes Kanter's setup works,especially at 50+ MPH stops.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 18:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved