Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Third Series SIX rods
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I have a Third Series SIX that needs rod bearings.
What does it take to remove the rods?
Can one just remove the head and pull the rod up, or is the lower end of the rod wider than the 3.5" bore?...in which case the lower end of the engine has to be disassembled!

Would like to hear from anyone who has crossed this bridge.
Bob

Posted on: 2014/1/9 23:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Third Series SIX rods
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bob,

No direct experience with 3rd Series Sixes but do know that these have babbited bearings, unless of course they have been converted to slipper bearings at some stage. Irrespective of that, I'd be checking the crankshaft anyway. At a minimum you need to inspect the rod journals and measure them, doubt if you could easily do that down the cylinder bores. Seeing you need rod bearings, there's a fair chance the crankshaft journals are worn or damaged. In that case they'll need to be turned undersize.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 23:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Thanks for the prompt response.
I had one bearing disintegrate while I was driving..but I shut it down immediately...so THAT journal MIGHT be damaged.

I know the solution is always...just do a total overhaul...but sometimes that is not as feasible as it sounds.
I am not looking to drive the car another 80,000 miles..just want to get it back on the road.

Bob

Posted on: 2014/1/10 0:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Chances are, with a bearing disintegrating, that the journal is damaged so you probably don't have any options other than to pull the engine right down. You'd need to do that anyway to 1) check for other damage, and 2) remove all the metal pieces and particles which would have spread throughout the engine. Even to just get it back on the road you need to do it right or you'll soon be doing it all over again.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 0:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Third Series Six has the same pistons rods and bearings as a Third Series Big Eight. The rods will come up through the Block. I would recommend that you inspect all of the rod bearings to see if the babbit is flaking. I would also check a few Main bearings, although these are a lot less likely to flake.( except for the rear main which I would not disturb unless you are going to work on the crank. There should be a few good bearing remetalling shops known within this Forum. I would also urge you to not exceed 2,500 rpm for more that a few minutes at most, to avoid stressing your bearings. Best Regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 1:09
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming your rods are babbited as the original were, I can highly recommend Paul's Rod & Bearing in MO for reconditioning your rods & bearings. I've used them several times, and they are used by some of the better antique engine rebuilding shops.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 9:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Many thanks for all the input. It is really appreciated.
Am doing my best to get that project to bubble up in the priority list.

Bob

Posted on: 2014/1/19 23:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved