Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 244

39Rollson, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 52-6 Fuel tanks
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I have a 52 with a leaky bung ,leaky bung can you imagine ,it's sounds like some embarrassing medical condition .i tried tightening the little drain nut but I bet some prior owner did that and spun the bung in the tank ,I tried sanding off the area and covering the whol area with epoxy but it sticks good works until the gas cooks the stuff and it peels off I tried draining the tank and repeated still has a teensy leak. If gas wasn't 5 million dlls a gallon I'd ignore it
I hate the thought of 500 for a tank and I bet a couple of 100 for shipping for a good tank with bung issues!

Posted on: 2014/2/8 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I have a 52 with a leaky bung ,leaky bung can you imagine ,it's sounds like some embarrassing medical condition .i tried tightening the little drain nut but I bet some prior owner did that and spun the bung in the tank ,I tried sanding off the area and covering the whol area with epoxy but it sticks good works until the gas cooks the stuff and it peels off I tried draining the tank and repeated still has a teensy leak. If gas wasn't 5 million dlls a gallon I'd ignore it
I hate the thought of 500 for a tank and I bet a couple of 100 for shipping for a good tank with bung issues!

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Steve, There was an earlier posting that talked about a gasoline resistant sealer, but I can't remember where it is. It was not too long ago, so maybe it will not be too difficult to located. It may have been in this discussion thread. Also, you may want to delete two of your three identical postings.

(o{]o)

Posted on: 2014/2/8 13:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I tried to fix my drain with a sealer from the auto parts store. did not work well at all. my car is a 52 as well. I took my tank to the local radiator shop and he cleaned and rpaire the whole tank.....

Posted on: 2014/2/8 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
It cost $200.00 to have my tank repaired, cleaned, and coated. Much cheaper than a new one, if you tank has a good solid body that can be welded.

Posted on: 2014/2/8 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Steve,
My '54 Convertible had a seepage problem where the fuel line exited the tank. That area had a repair done prior to my ownership. It looked like it was silver-soldered and then ground or filed smooth. The repair looked to be well done but gas would seep out, roll along the left side tank strap and drip onto the ground whenever the fuel level was high enough to contact that area. Like you, I tried various exterior repairs without success. But when I tried Seal-All, www.seal-all.com, I was pleasantly surprised as it actually worked! That was almost three years ago and there hasn't been a sign of a drip since. A side benefit is the garage doesn't smell like raw gas anymore when the tank is over half full. At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I also used it successfully to stop seepage in a convertible top hydraulic hose where the flexible hose meets its' fitting. I also use it as a lubricant/sealant when plugging nail punctures in tires. It's a clear adhesive and sealant. I bought it at Pep Boys, but I've also seen it in hardware stores. It's not terribly expensive so it might be worth giving it a try before you drop the tank for repair or replacement.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 16:47
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
A good radiator shop....

Rex in the Chicago area...

Posted on: 2014/2/10 1:36
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Just buy the new one being offered and solve your problems.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
"I have a 52 with a leaky bung ,leaky bung can you imagine ,it's sounds like some embarrassing medical condition .i tried tightening the little drain nut but I bet some prior owner did that and spun the bung in the tank ,I tried sanding off the area and covering the whol area with epoxy but it sticks good works until the gas cooks the stuff and it peels off I tried draining the tank and repeated still has a teensy leak. If gas wasn't 5 million dlls a gallon I'd ignore it
I hate the thought of 500 for a tank and I bet a couple of 100 for shipping for a good tank with bung issues!"

The shipping for tanks from Kanter's is a flat $60 with in the US. I just wanted to clear that up for some if they did not know. We use a formula for shipping 15% of the order cost up to a Max $60. So in fact if you purchase solely the tank for $349 the shipping would be $52.35

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2014/2/11 11:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved