Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 225

BigKev, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 23 Series - Overheating 288 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Many hotrodders remove the thermostat, but they put a brass plate with a hole in it to replace the stat. It is called a restrictor plate and the purpose is to slow the water traveling through the system to allow it time to absorb heat and then get rid of the heat in the radiator. If the coolant runs by too quickly it cannot do its job.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is neat trick to use when running an engine without a thermostat. Simply take a thermostat that fits the engine (opening temperature is unimportant) and remove the working parts, leaving only the outer ring. Install this outer ring as the restrictor where the thermostat normally fits. This is a more satisfactory solution than trying to find the right size washer. Removing the thermostat will only work around the overheating problem and is not a real fix; however, it may help.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 10:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Engine timing is very important. My first National meet 475 miles from home our Deluxe 8 developed a overheating problem.I changed thermostats, had the radiator flushed, replaced belt, installed new cap and was ready to replace the head gasket when a old timer came by and told me to start the car and then asked for a screwdriver. He told me the timing was off and he reset it by ear. The car performed fine the rest of the week.
Good luck

Posted on: 2008/10/6 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Packardtaximan,

Engine timing is very important.

Timing? Are you suggesting that if the spark is advanced TOO much, it can contribute to overheating?

DanL

Posted on: 2008/10/6 19:39
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Retarded timing can be a cause of overheating.

Posted on: 2008/10/6 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Jay writes,

Quote:
I've heard, but don't know, that it makes a difference having the thermostat in place beyond what you'd expect the thermostat to do. As, I'd expect having NO thermostat to make the engine run as cool as possible at all times. It seems to not be the case, and I'm not sure why that is.

What i've been told about why an engine tends to run hotter with the thermostat removed is that the restriction created by the presents of the thermostat slows down the coolant thru the radiator allowing more heat transfer to occur. Without the thermostat there the coolant tends to travel too fast thru the radiator thus giving up less heat and delivering the coolant back to the engine hotter than it could be.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Clipper47 writesQuote:
Retarded timing can be a cause of overheating.

I was always under the impression that just the opposite is true. Timing that is to far advanced tends to cause the engine to run hotter. I seem to remember one car I had where the timing was advanced to the point it would ping on a hill. When the timing was brought back down to get rid of the pinging the car seemed to run cooler too.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 12:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's retarded timing that causes an engine to run hot. Overly advanced timing is often characterized by preignition and possibly failure of the starter motor to turn easily.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Advance the timing about a degree and try it. Don't forget that timing changes as the points cam follower wears. My 49 was beginning to run hot and I found the timing had changed over 2 degrees.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 18:54
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved