Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 182

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Question on my 1937 Twelve's Engine Number
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ian McGee
See User information
The parts book gives the part numbers for the standard, low, and high compression heads, but doesn't say what they're made of.

I know the heads on my car are aluminum, but the car is still in storage at the moment so I can't have a look to check the numbers. It would be nice if they turn out to be the H.C. versions...

Posted on: 2014/5/4 20:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The different CR heads are not identified by part numbers. The letters "HC" cast in letters about 5/8" high at the top of the head near the rear indicates that it's a high compression head. "LC" similarly indicates the low compression head (primarily but not exclusively used for export models). The standard heads had no markings. This information is right out of the shop manual.

When in doubt you can cc the heads to determine the CR; the standard head was 37.5-41.5 cc; 23-27 cc for the high (7.00) compression, and 44-48 cc for the low (6.03) compression.

The aluminum heads allowed better heat transfer which in turn allowed higher compression ratios; however the earlier cast iron heads were and are much sought after as replacements as the aluminum was, by today's standards, a rather primitive alloy and they have suffered from corrosion effects, etc. New aluminum heads in modern alloys are available from several sources, but be prepared for prices in the range of $2000 each or thereabouts.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Could the "A" suffix to the engine number identify a factory replacement engine or block using the original number with the suffix to denote it was not original to the chassis? It would have been stamped by the servicing dealer. Just a guess...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/5 11:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Think ive read that somewhere about it being a Fact. Reb. Maybe TECH LETTERS.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 16:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved