Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Running Boards
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
Hi all, I'm restoring a '39 110 4dr. it's a lot of work but is coming along great. I got to the point of needing to recover the running boards and had read many threads on the subject. My boards were not rusted through and generally the metal was in good shape but all of the covering was gone. I decided to go the truck bed liner route, had it sprayed on and sanded it for about two weeks, The more I looked at it the less I liked it and after attending the great Packard show in Salado in April, I knew there was only one route for me. I had the bedliner blasted off and sent the boards out to Hunnley Acroff, they were returned today after only 4 weeks, the workmanship was outstanding and I am completely happy in my decision. The only real point of this post is to acknowledge great workmanship by Mr. Acroff and to tell others that while it is a good bit more money than bedliner, the end results are incomparable.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 21:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Running Boards
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
John,
Could you post photos of the boards, including each end? I have long wanted Acuff to redo my 39 Six sedan, but have never seen an example of a 39 from him.

Currently, my car has thick rubber matting with the proper rib pattern, but I'd like to have him do them.

Thanks,
Pat

Posted on: 2014/6/10 7:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Actually the guy's name is Hunley Acuff. And to make it easier to find him go to
http://hunleyacuffrunningboards.com/

I am curious about his proprietary method and one guy on the fordbarn.com forum says, "...This is the only (to my knowledge) true vulcanized process available today. Raw rubber is formed under pressure and heat to the board much like an automobile tire is manufactured."

John, since you have your running boards would you say that they appear as nice as actual vulcanized rubber?

Posted on: 2014/6/10 8:39
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious what the second entry on his Packard products list refers to. It reads 48-512 drs. The way it is written, one would think that might mean 48 thru 51 two door rubber sills. I don't believe 51 uses the same item so is there another car that designation fits or maybe it is a misprint? If it is the 48-50 item isn't there another poster trying to repro the same thing.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 9:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I took some pictures after several request.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.13 KB)
11516_5397a43760452.jpg 194X259 px

jpg  (15.28 KB)
11516_5397a44636ada.jpg 194X202 px

jpg  (12.75 KB)
11516_5397a4535594a.jpg 194X259 px

jpg  (13.94 KB)
11516_5397a4665f233.jpg 194X259 px

jpg  (15.16 KB)
11516_5397a476714dc.jpg 194X259 px

Posted on: 2014/6/10 19:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
When I was in High school I worked a little at a tire retreading shop [nasty place] and I would say that this has the same feel as that rubber, you can see on the back where the rubber flowed into various holes and has a molded look.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for posting the close up photos.
Pat

Posted on: 2014/6/11 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Thank you for the pictures. My boards are almost ready to go to Hunley. How did you ship them ? Would you be so kind as to email me with all of the details you went through to get them resurfaced.

Thank you

Fred D

FJDietrich@verizon.net

Posted on: 2014/6/11 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Wish they did the long wheelbase 1940.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 19:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved