Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Packard aluminum head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Aluminum V8s would be very cool. If you keep posted on here I will be posting some prototype pictures as they become available. The proposed parts list as of right now is the head, finned side plates, finned front cover. An intake is in the works but its configuration is not finalized yet.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i have no problem with mods,

but to keep these cars going, we need someone with play money, to start making the basic parts ..

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:21
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Riki wrote:
-----
but to keep these cars going, we need someone with play money, to start making the basic parts ..

And therein lies the rub. Most small shops are not set up to do production. To make one or two of something by hand, machine shops want a fortune. To make the part affordable, production shops want an order of magnitude probably more than there are cars still around that can use the item -- and they want it paid for up front. Even some of the oddball hardware items we need are a problem. They are still around but try buying in quantities less than a thousand and what vendor is going to stock 1000 when he might sell one or two a year.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I don't know if the OP is still monitoring this thread but someone should mention that the 54 Patrician straight eight came stock with a high compression aluminum head, and most of them have worn out and been replaced by iron. This might be a market.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Yes the original aluminum heads are pretty beat these days and if you can find on in "usable" condition the aluminum is likely annealed and it would be difficult to make the head seal.

These will be a small market honestly not many people want an aluminum performance head for the Packard L8 but they will be cast in the US (Georgia specifically) and then CNC machined to completion. I am putting out the word for the guy who will be tackling the project and he knows that it will be a limited production/ selling item but he doesn't have all his eggs in one basket, he also makes other parts for forgotten engines (Pontiac straight 8 V12 Lincoln etc.).

This will not be a stock replacement part but a performance/ dress up part, it will be finned and the final compression ratio should be around 8:1, which is pretty ideal for a flathead.

Orders are not being taken right now as we are in the initial R&D stage but if anyone is seriously interested PM me and I can keep you updated on the progress.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
This may be a viable project if tooling costs are low. With the advances in lost foam casting, 3d printing and CNC machining it may be possible to make such parts in small numbers without spending a fortune on tooling, jigs, molds and patterns.

Would be interesting to learn how it can be done.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Not too far off the subject. A fellow that worked for Nethercutt manufactured Packard 12, Lincoln 12. and Cadillac 12 and 16 caps and rotors. When he passed on, production stopped. Might there be a possibility of tracking down these molds to start manufacture again. Probably The Nethercutt Collection retains these. Might they allow the molds put back in use? Just saw a Packard 12 cap and rotor sell for 3000!

Posted on: 2014/6/27 23:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
That would be really cool, I would love to see more parts available for these engines stock replacement or performance. Injection molding plastics is very difficult from what I understand. Maybe 3D printing would be an option?

Posted on: 2014/6/28 2:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I used to work in a small plastics factory that made distributor caps. The process is surprisingly simple, if you have the mold and the machine.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 7:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I don't build many I8s but I'd commit to taking two if it would help move from bench racing to production.

FWIW, I get more requests for aluminum intakes for the V8s than anything else.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/6/28 14:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved