Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 177

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '54 Door Jam plate (ID Plate, VN Plate)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Only problem I ever saw with hoods was on cars where the hinges hadn't been exercised regularly for some time. On more than one of the parts cars we had, the metal flange just in front of the attachment point had been stressed--a couple to the point of cracking because the hinges were so stiff. A shot of oil on the pivots at least once while you own the car wouldn't hurt.

Posted on: 2008/10/18 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
As for "hood flutter", all I have to say to that is "blah".

Oh, come on Eric, tell us what you REALLY think.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 0:41
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
This guess about the reason for the holes through the plate and the jamb literally popped into my head as I was going to sleep (serious Packard brain fever):

Maybe they just are locator holes for lining up the plate at the same height and perfectly level every time before spot-welding. On assembly, temporary dowels could have held the plate in place while it was being zapped.

Maybe not, too.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 20:16
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
May not be the right explanation but it sure sounds logical to me. But there must be better things to think about when going to sleep?

Posted on: 2008/10/20 22:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Guy, you have come up with the obviously correct answer. BUT, as Owen says, you really should be thinking other thoughts when going to bed.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 23:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
'Sokay folks. All for the cause of the latter day Packards. Thanks for the "aye" votes. Now, I suppose we'll have to wait for the "real" answer from above. Maybe one of those gentlemen who worked on the line, mentioned in the great Packard Proving Grounds thread. Wish some of them would join in here. Of course, part of the fun is puzzlin' it out.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 23:12
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved