Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'54 Door Jam plate (ID Plate, VN Plate)
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are any of the vendors reproducing this style of door jam plate?

Attach file:

jpg  (16.08 KB)
1_48f7b577ba66d.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2008/10/16 16:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 Door Jam plate (ID Plate, VN Plate)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not being reproduced to my knowledge. How nice, you've got Patrician #1!

Posted on: 2008/10/16 17:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No, lol I wish! Just a picture I picked up along the way for later reference.

Out of all the various VN plates used, this is by far the simplest in design. Make me wonder why it hasn't been reproduce. Perhaps because of the stylised rear stamping it uses as opposed to previous painted vin plates that used a simple non-descript front stamping.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 20:12
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
It looks like it's spot-welded on each end, but still has through-holes that line up with holes in the jamb, but they're empty. Were they made for additional screws as extra belt-and-suspenders security? Or is this maybe a repro plate in the photo. The door jamb does look freshly painted and generally worked over.

I know this doesn't answer the original question, but if someone were to make repros of these, I wonder if it would be wise to pre-drill them in all cases? Anybody who has a known original for comparison would be able to check it out. maybe they changed from year to year.

It does look really nice for an ID tag. Beveled edge and all... much classier than the new printed or front-stamped ones.

Posted on: 2008/10/17 23:59
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
All '51 and up ID plates that I've seen were identical to the one in the above pic, spot welded in two places with two holes that have no screws. Maybe the two holes are for adding screws if the plate happens to come loose? If that's the case, then why didn't they just screw it in place to begin with??

Posted on: 2008/10/18 1:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are the 55/56 tags similar?

Posted on: 2008/10/18 1:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the 55/56 plates are the same and have a location for paint and interior trim codes. The word "Packard" is reduced in size from 1954 and is in the center with the vehicle number above it and the paint and trim codes below. Also somewhere in the 50s, perhaps 51-52 or perhaps just early 1951, the tag was larger, silkscreened in black and was somewhat similar only smaller than the cowl-mounted plates used thru 1950.

BTW, though no doubt enforcement in the hobby is probably nil, tampering with VIN plates is a violation of federal law.

Posted on: 2008/10/18 8:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Sharp eyes, everybody, and a good thing to know for those who show for points. Packard was really spot-weld-happy. At least in the V8 years. I remember pulling a fender off a parts car--not only do they have a generous number of welds, but also quite a few bolts. For those unconvinced of the sturdiness and well-built designs of these post-war Packards, just try to take one apart some time!

And I heard mention somewhere, from someone, something harsh about lack of hood bracing and hood "flutter" in Packards.

I drove 2 of the '55s over "washboard" dirt roads many times with nary a flutter in either vehicle. Just a nice trailing throttle four-wheel drift through the turns--with virtually no lean or pitch. You might say, "I was there."

The hoods were made of a heavy enough gauge steel and were fit precisely enough to eliminate the need for bracing to prevent flutter. Now some postwar Packards may be different, I only testify for the V8s.

I just thought that should be set straight.

I add this in good humor with an emphasis on fair debate. And heck, it's partially on topic.

But I still can't understand why the empty holes in the door jamb plates and in the door jambs.

Posted on: 2008/10/18 9:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Here's a '56 plate, albeit it's been painted over:

Attach file:

jpg  (94.92 KB)
34_48f9f8b7d2acf.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/10/18 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
As for "hood flutter", all I have to say to that is "blah". I've never experienced it in my '56 Patrician, even at speeds deemed illegal. I would say that one person bought a lemon and it's tainted they're experience for the whole brand.

Posted on: 2008/10/18 9:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved