Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bench Testing R-9 Overdrive Solenoid and Relay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Understandably forum members who have expressed an interest in some overdrive components have concerns about whether these electrical parts (solenoid, governor and relay) are in working condition. They also legitimately have a problem with my asking price which admittedly are probably too high given that non of these items have been tested to operate and as such are basically cores unless established to be working. In any event I have found some information on how to bench test the solenoid on an R11 unit but not the R9 solenoid or relay. I am looking for information or advice on how best to test these units. My only source for 6 volt power is an old model battery charger which I think will work on the relay since little amperage is required but I don' t know what amperage is required to test the hold in and primary solenoid coils of the solenoid itself. Any help appreciated as always.

Posted on: 2014/12/7 13:21

Re: Bench Testing R-9 Overdrive Solenoid and Relay
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I know it takes a strong six volt battery and large cables to test the R 9 overdrive solenoid - HH56 can explain the procedure to test it -

Posted on: 2014/12/7 13:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depending on how many amps capacity your charger can output, it may or may not be adequate. My small 7 amp charger does not have enough output to energize the solenoid but once plunger is extended, it will hold it out. The OD is fused for 20 amps so I'm guessing it probably needs around 12- 15 amps for the pull in coil. I don't have a meter fast enough to measure the pull in current. You also need some fairly decent size wire for the test -- 14ga is a good average for testing. The factory used 12ga in operation.

If you have instructions on a 6v R11 solenoid, the R9 is very similar. The differences are in two terminals. The R11 has the pull in coil and hold in coil internally connected to the same terminal 4 and does not have terminal 3. The R9 has the coils separate so to test the R9, terminals 3 and 4 have to be connected together via a jumper wire. Case connects to ground and the jumpered 3 & 4 connection gets the voltage. If you don't connect 3 and 4 together the solenoid will "machine gun" since the pull in coil has a contact which opens just before the plunger is extended and will release the plunger. Without the hold in coil, the pull in and release cycle will continue. If the terminals are connected together and it still machine guns, the hold in coil is suspect. If it does not pull in and the voltage and amps is satisfactory for testing, then the pull in coil or the inernal disconnect contacts are suspect. The coil can burn open if something prevents the solenoid from extending the distance so the contacts can disconnect it. The contacts themselves are a service item and can be in fairly rough condition causing issues.

The other difference is in terminal 7 for the indicator light. The R11 does not have that terminal. On the R9, the contacts operate about at the same time. With the solenoid just sitting relaxed, 7 should be connected to case ground and 6 will be open. As the plunger is extended, at approx 3/4 or slightly more of the max distance out those terminals will switch. 7 will open to case ground to extinguish the indicator light and 6 will close to ground to enable the first part of grounding of the ignition cut out circuit. The R11 operates its terminal 6 the same but has no terminal 7.

Posted on: 2014/12/7 14:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
An R11 solenoid draws 10 amps to start and 2 amps to hold. I would think that the R9 would be somewhat the same.

Posted on: 2014/12/7 14:27
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks, Great information. I am aware of the difference between R9 and R11 but not of amperage requirements. I doubt that my charger has sufficient amps to test properly. The solenoid was working when it was in my car so probably OK as is the Governor. The relay was taken from a parts car but seems to test ok in that the points will open and close when connected to 6 volt power.

Posted on: 2014/12/7 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
A battery charger should not be used as a power supply.

When the contacts in the solenoid break there is a voltage spike that can damage the rectifier and blow out the charger.

Posted on: 2014/12/7 16:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Tim, Well in this case it is not a big loss if it gets fried but I will take your advice and not use it as a power source. Thank you for that information.

Posted on: 2014/12/7 18:51

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved