Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Motometers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I was watching the the reality TV show "American Pickers" and they "picked" a group of motometers--a device used to replace the radiator cap to show the temp of the radiator at any given time.

My question is was a motometer a generic item that could be used on any radiator, or was a motometer model-specific? If model-specific, was there a model specific to Packard?

take care
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/1/7 21:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Motometers
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Garret

The only differences I know of were cosmetic. There were two diameters. Shells could be plain or have a garland. The major bling was the front face plate, they were sold with insignia appropriate to the make of car. The Packard insignia has the script and a Packad powered airplane

Best

John Harley

Posted on: 2015/1/8 6:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Hi John!

Thanks for the info. The "American Pickers" guy selected three or four motometers from a larger group the collector owned. As you pointed out, they varied in style (one with what appeared to a set of extended wings). One motometer in particular, I noticed, was for a Pierce Arrow.

What I didn't notice is which way the motometer faced when in use. Did it face the driver so he/she could tell the radiator temp while driving, or did it face the road necessitating the driver having to get out of the car and go round to the front and look.

take care
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/1/8 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The Boyce Mot-O-Meter company used the name Motometer on their products.

I don't recall any other makers of these, but I would be surprised if not.

I have one on my model T Ford that screws in, in place of the original radiator cap. It is a good item and was a worth while accessory.

Jim

Posted on: 2015/1/9 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Garret

The side with the logo faces the front of the car, the side facing the driver is white to contrast with the red fluid. There is a round cutout in the discs to denote normal operating temperature.

Dumb flapper joke my late uncle told. me As Owen would say, he was of the era.

Flapper goes into a garage and asks to buy a Motometer

Salesman says "Boyce ?"

Flapper says "No, silly, its for my car!"

Best

John Harley

Posted on: 2015/1/9 18:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I'm sure you are aware that if you have a hood that goes over the top of the radiator to latch you don't use the MMeter..........Or at least you can use it once.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 18:55
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved