Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Grandpa was a Packard Owner
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

QMopar
See User information
I've been a Mopar guy for as long as I can remember mostly because my dad liked them and owned several while we were growing up. My grandpa also had a huge role when he gave me my first real car a 1977 Chrysler New Yorker.

Over Christmas my family got together and pulled out the old slide projector. In going through the slides, I saw a Packard and my mom's face lit up like a Christmas tree.

"That's dad's Packard! With Torsion-Air suspension (probably meant Torsion-Level)! Your uncle and I would stand on the back bumper and it would take us for a ride!"

I always had heard about the Packard and the stories of how proud my grandpa was to own and drive it but to actually see it was very cool...for lack of a better word. Also, I found out it was his first new car. Very cool indeed.

In talking with my father in-law a couple years ago, it came up that Filer was a family name. In asking about what they did, he mentioned that they owned a car dealership downstate from us. Yep, I'm kinda related (by marriage anyway) to Carl E. Filer in Greenville. I guess I have Packard progeny on both sides of the family.

So, I searched for Packard info and found this site. I'm certainly enjoying reading all the info.

Thanks!

~Q

Adam Q.
Erie, PA

Attach file:

jpg  (30.95 KB)
80054_54b80f78696a3.jpg 691X461 px

jpg  (40.14 KB)
80054_54b80f846cb40.jpg 691X461 px

Posted on: 2015/1/15 14:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Grandpa was a Packard Owner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
What a lovely story and great pictures. Welcome to the site and enjoy the many articles and features.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Adam:

A good story indeed. Your grandfather's Packard was a 1955 Clipper Custom sedan. Beautiful color combination. If you have the opportunity to drive one, you will know why he liked the car so much.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 16:48
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

QMopar
See User information
Thanks for the welcome clipper47 & Mr. Bumble. And thanks for clarifying what he had. I knew it was a Clipper just couldn't differentiate which Clipper it was. Thanks.

I'd LOVE to drive one! Years ago reading about how Packard was chosen by Rolls Royce to manufacture P51D engines, I figured they were quality cars. Now knowing that it was so special to grandpa, I really would like to get to know them more.

Thanks again for the welcome...

~Q

Posted on: 2015/1/15 17:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Adam(QMopar),
Like to add my to those already made.

And if it happens that you "really would like to get to know them more", ie you buy a Packard, could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry?

Posted on: 2015/1/15 18:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Adam

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your grandfather's story and photos of his Packard ownership, we love hearing personal recollections of those times. Buying a new Clipper Custom means your grandfather was doing quite well in 1955.

For more on your family connection to Carl Filer, you should also sign onto the SDC Forum:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forumdisplay.php?6-General-Studebaker-Specific-Discussion

You'll find a gentlemen there with first-hand experience with Carl Filer's dealership as Greenville is his hometown. He's written a good deal about it.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/1/15 19:39
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

QMopar
See User information
Thanks all for the kind greetings. I will sign up for the SDC Forum and learn more about the dealership. I showed that picture of Mr. Filer Sr. in front of his dealership next to the Packard he was about to deliver and my father in law said, "Yep, that looks like Carl!"

And I would definitely be happy to sign the Packard Owner's Registry if I were to take one home. I don't have any plans to do so now but maybe I'll have an opportunity someday.

With my grandpa putting me on a path of liking large cars (and my dad doing nothing but encouraging me to do so), I've had a few Mopar luxo-liners. The latest find is kind of shout-out to him and the 77 NYB he essentially gave me.

But I can't say I haven't looked for a 55 Clipper! In fact, I found one very similar to his in CA.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4820308349.html

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning more about this impressive marque.

~Q

Attach file:

jpg  (89.21 KB)
80054_54b870d79a66d.jpg 1158X647 px

Posted on: 2015/1/15 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Adam

Glad to have you aboard, appreciation and ownership of large luxury cars is unfortunately rare with younger people. Love those late Imperials, they're very much the type of car Packard would have built had they still been in business then.

There is a Packard connection to your Imperial: as a young designer in the Packard studio, Richard Macadam is primarily credited with the Packard Predictor show car. Later, moving onto Chrysler, after serving under Engel, he succeeded him as styling director in mid-1974. Very likely he had a strong hand in the looks of your Imperial.

So, please visit often, ask all the question you have, avail yourself of all the knowledge this site has to offer........we'll get you into a Packard before you know it!

Steve

Posted on: 2015/1/16 8:22
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
QMopar, welcome aboard! Thanks for sharing your story. The story about Packard's involvement in building Rolls Royce Merlin engines is an inspiring one. If you are interested in learning more about the Packard Motor Car Company, check out the Packard Bookshelf under the Main Menu (on the RH side of the home page). There you will find many reviews of books on the PMC.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/1/19 17:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

QMopar
See User information
Thanks JW. Enjoying my time looking around the site. The Packard-Merlin engines were incredible and, in concert with a number of other factors, a reason why the US and the Allies were able to win the second world war. I grew to appreciate everyone (all US manufacturers) who stopped what they were doing and went full steam ahead to do their part to 'help our boys' win the war.

From little Willys (as well as Ford) and the Jeep to Packard and the P51D & PT boat engines, to Chrysler and the cars, trucks, engines, & tanks and others that I'm probably missing, I just love reading about the US's can-do spirit and attitude.

So, naturally, when you grow up with some Chrysler products you have a natural affinity for them. When I got older and started reading about them, I was drawn to their engineering approach to automobiles. Now, having re-discovered grandpa's Packard and all the memories surrounded it, I couldn't help but read more about the company. The more I learn about about Packard, I see that they also were very high on the engineering aspect of their car. It's a no-brainer that I would like them too.

For a small company to undertake the first completely in-house design & manufacture of an automatic transmission speaks to the stubborn way they liked to do things. And I mean stubborn in the most complimentary way possible. That same USA can-do attitude showing through in a very American car.

I also read somewhere that around 55-56, Chrysler actually helped with the manufacture of the bodies??? Maybe someone could comment on that. Either way, it more than confirms to me that, in liking both Chrysler & Packard, I have my priorities straight

Scanned some more slides and found some more Packard pics. My grandpa was a pastor and traveled with my mom & uncle all over the USA preaching in revivals or other special services. They put a lot of miles on cars over those early years. When they moved to Flint, MI to pastor a church there, he thought it was time to buy a car. That's when and where he bought his first new car - a '55 Clipper Custom (thanks again for the help on the specific model Steve).

Attach file:

jpg  (100.00 KB)
80054_54becce084e08.jpg 1267X845 px

jpg  (100.37 KB)
80054_54beccf733611.jpg 1267X845 px

Posted on: 2015/1/20 16:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved