Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Chevrolet BB V8 and tenuous link to Packard V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
FYI this article in Hemmings has a link where a "former Chevrolet engineer Bill Howell claimed the Mark III Chev BB V8 designation was to have been applied to Packard's V-8, should GM have bought that tooling".

Posted on: 2015/2/13 21:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Chevrolet BB V8 and tenuous link to Packard V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Fairly well-known and previously discussed.

Chevrolet Engineering had four different next-generation big block studies going in parallel. The "not-designed-here" and possible PR negatives to buying a dead horse made buying the Packard V8 design and tooling a non-starter.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/2/14 13:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

QMopar
See User information
I'm almost done with reading The Fall of the Packard Motor Company and just passed the point where they were talking with GM. Maybe I need to reread that section but I came away with the impression that the talks weren't anything but that - just talking - and eventual rejection by GM.

To hear/read that GM could have reserved the Mark III designation of their big blocks to use with the Packard V8 is very interesting. Tells me maybe it was more than just talk - or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Either way, while, evidently, a well-known & thoroughly discussed topic for those not previously exposed to or currently immersed in the Packard story, it is certainly interesting and helpful to get up to speed. Thanks for helping the newbies!

As always, great people and great history on this site -

~Q

Posted on: 2015/2/16 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
As mentioned, the S-P talks were with Chevrolet Engineering; at that point in time each division had its' own Engineering Department, as there was no GM Engineering. They had four design teams looking at the future large displacement engine options: modifying the existing 348-409", putting porcupine heads on that block, buying the Packard tooling and a clean-sheet block design using the porcupine heads. Naturally, engineers like to do new stuff, so the clean-sheet block design won.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/2/17 11:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved