Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 203

winger, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Convertable top for caribbean 55
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can either of you two (mlgrimes & ltrd) confirm that even with the bulk of the extra layer the top still folds and fits easily into the well?

Posted on: 2015/3/12 10:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
thanks for the information so far. My question is how does the liner get sewn in so it will not loosen on the in the middle, like hang down? Also did anyone have the problem with the extra material to get in the well when the top is down?
By the way, this site is just awesome in regards to getting information. thanks to all of you who helped me over the past years.
Walter

Posted on: 2015/3/12 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD,
He never seems to have any issues when he puts the top down, but as I said I'll have to ask him again.

Here is his 56 orange car at Salado, the pink one is a 55 from Austin,

Attach file:

jpg  (34.15 KB)
1220_5501b9c5ab64a.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (31.47 KB)
1220_5501ba0379ea7.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (46.23 KB)
1220_5501ba9a65aaf.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (45.37 KB)
1220_5501badf0b94d.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2015/3/12 11:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My question is how does the liner get sewn in so it will not loosen on the in the middle, like hang down?

I'm kind of curious too. Not sure I would trust ordinary spray on adhesive but If the new top material is canvas like or something able to withstand a bit of heat and the liner is an ordinary thin fabric, I think the iron on fusible web or maybe the fusible powder applied between the layers would probably hold up over time and would prevent any sagging. Both products would be very thin and if liner is also thin might be able to fold well. They advertise those fusible products as more or less permanent and even able to withstand multiple washings. Be interesting to hear if he does do something to prevent sagging or if the tight stretch and sewing alone is enough.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 11:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I was discussing this topic with Fred this morning and the type of tops took up the majority of our conversion in reference to the 55 and 56 Packards. The 55 used an Orlon/Hypalon type top while the 56's used a leather grain vinyl. What may have caused some this misconception over the years was that several years after the 55's were new and the tops were prematurely failing, Packard supplied as replacement the '56 leather grain vinyl tops. We do not know if the inner liner matched the '55 colors which were different from the '56 colors but the original '55 tops were not leather grain vinyl.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
It has been my understanding that the 56 Caribbean convertable top had the same look (grain) as the 56 Caribbean hardtop top covering. Somewhere on this site are pictures of the samples that show this. I think the samples were then donated to the Packard Proving grounds too?

The 55 was a very fine looking pattern, I believe I posted a picture of it on this site in a thread similar to this one discussing top material. I know Leedy has discussed this on this site too.

It's been too long, and I don't remember much but I did discuss this one time with Eric Hertz when he made a presentation at one of the PAC national meets.

EDIT: thanks for the correction below OD, I told you it had been too long! So I my memory might be wrong about the material too. I did show Eric the remnants of an original 55 top. The rest well.................. Been too long.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 12:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Eric Hertz

Close, but no cigar! Eric Haartz

Posted on: 2015/3/12 12:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Top material samples on this site can be found under Misc. Packard Information, Article 60. Packard Post-War Material Cards.

Here is the sample from pages 363/364 showing outside and liner for Set 90, Ward Green.
Set 93, Vermillion can be found on pages 365/366.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 300.58 KB; Hits: 34

Posted on: 2015/3/12 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Just as a follow up, I called Art's Trim Shop this morning. He was quite helpful and confirmed that he has installed quite a few tops for the gentleman in Indiana who seems to like Caribbeans. The bad news is that these tops are a custom installation and he cannot make up a top for installation by your friendly local upholsterer. He was gracious enough to agree to talk to any local upholstery installer to give hints on his methods for installing the lining.
Essentially to use his service would require transport to his facility and tying the car up for several weeks. His estimated cost for such installation was around $2500.
I will note that the top obtained from Keppach had a light material matching the center color of the car which was stitched around the perimeter with no obvious attachment in the center area. This arrangement did not seem to pose a sagging problem in the middle since that area is fairly narrow with the bulk of the space covered by the top pads. Although the top fits poorly around the back window, I did not feel that the liner material would prevent it from fitting into the well.
I am still hoping that whoever said they knew of someone who would produce a top if they were assured of several orders would respond.
The $2500 price for an installation is not outrageous , but I am hundreds of miles away from Imdiana.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 18:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
I have another question regarding the coverable top on the Caribbean.
On my old top (prior to the start of restoration) has a rear window which it made of a solid glass with a SS frame around it. I wonder if this is original or if someone had putt that in on a later date.
So my question is what was the original referring to the window as I see on the pictures posted here I see a soft Plexiglas window with a zipper.
I have not called Art's Trim shop yet, but I read here that they do not provide pattern for the tops, but only do installations at their shop! Is that correct? That would be a problem for me too as I live in Tampa, Florida and quite a ways away from Indian.
Any comments and information is appreciated.
Walter

Posted on: 2015/3/13 6:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved