Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to rivet with solid rivets?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

I need to put back together the shock arm extensions on my 733. The two stamped sheet metal pieces are held together with solid rivets (see picture of very dirty arm).

I got the rivets from Fastenal.

What tools and/or techniques do I need to use them? In various google searches I found references to 'rivet sets', but further searching resulted in finding lots of info on pop rivets.

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (30.49 KB)
333_492887a5ca977.jpg 416X516 px

Posted on: 2008/11/22 17:29
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: How to rivet with solid rivets?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
While I haven't done any rivets quite that big I have done smaller ones on an aluminium boat. You need a heavy hunk of metal with a dished out portion to fit the head of the rivet( usually called a "buck"). You hold that buck against the rivet head and then smack the other side of the rivet with a hammer to upset the end. If you want to get real fancy you can make a small block with a dished out section for use on the upset end to give it a nicer looking appearance but that usually requires at least 3 hands to do.

Posted on: 2008/11/22 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When riveting iron or steel it is standard procedure to heat the rivet cherry red and peen it over. This swells the rivet body into the holes. Otherwise the slight clearence allows for breathing that only gets worse over just a few 1000 miles.

one alternative is to install good shoulder bolts with nuts or tap one side of the piece and screew them together.

Posted on: 2008/11/22 21:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Go to McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search up "solid rivets" and "Solid Rivet tools" You need a Rivet set (or two), a vise and hammer and you don't have to heat them, they are mild steel and should expand nicely if you hole isn't too over-sized.

Scott

Posted on: 2008/11/23 1:37
1930 Packard 726
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe you have to take into consideration what kind of load will be imposed before you decide if heat-shrunk riveting is required. If you are simply holding two halves of something together and there is no shearing action or significant other forces to separate the parts, then cold riveting may suffice but if there is any signifcant shearing force, I'd recommend hot riveting as has been suggested.

Brings back some of those wonderful old photos of shipyards and bridge builders where the tosser takes a hot rivet from the furnace and tosses it to the catcher who uses a leather mit and metal cup to catch and insert it. Before I finish my morning coffee Gusha will probably have a picture of same here.

Posted on: 2008/11/23 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owens explanation is better. Go ahead and cold rivet the shhock link as long as it is not subject to any significant sheer or torsional stresses. It's difficult to tell from the pic what kind of forces are on the link or it's connstruction and i'm not familiar with this particular set up.

Unless originality is important for shows i would probably just use bolts.

Posted on: 2008/11/23 10:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Thank you all for the specific instructions. That was exactly what I needed. I am going to order a setter and will report on success of failure after my return from Thanksgiving travels.

To All, Happy Thanksgiving (whenever, and even if, it occurs in your location)!

Posted on: 2008/11/23 13:33
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Happy Thanksgiving, Tom. Travel safely and enjoy the holiday.

Posted on: 2008/11/23 14:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
*Urp!* I get a sense of vertigo just looking at that pic of the catcher. My hat's off to the men who could work the high steel.

Posted on: 2008/11/24 18:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved