Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
One of the rivets on the throttle linkage broke. So I pulled it off thinking that all I needed to do was to put in a new rivet. To my surprise, I found the holes on the bracket that bolts to the firewall was 1/4" and the on the cross bar between the bracket and the carburetor and the small metal piece are 1/8". To help clarify the situation, the hole size on both outside pieces is 1/8" and the interior hole is 1/4". I did not find any bushing that goes in the larger hole so this would seem to indicate that the cross bar could rock up and down on the bracket. Is this what is really happening by design or am I missing something?

Attach file:

jpg  (59.48 KB)
1063_562fcef8a400e.jpg 689X968 px

jpg  (50.64 KB)
1063_562fcf053a285.jpg 543X599 px

Posted on: 2015/10/27 14:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe that is the intended purpose. The cross shaft with a bracket mounted to the firewall on one end and solidly to the head or manifold on the other would need a bit of free play or movement somewhere to prevent binding or bending as the engine moved.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 14:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard,

Loved your explanation & logic. I've replaced both rivets with the required play and just finished driving the car around the block. Once again all is well with the '51 Packard and I can continue with the '32.

Thanks for the QUICK and EXPERT advice.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Almost, but not quite. Once upon a time the the vertical piece was isolated from the firewall bracket by rubber. That took up the space around the rivets. The movement of the engine was compensated for by the vertical piece being spring steel that would flex.

The only problem with leaving the joint loose is that the vertical portion tends to flop toward the firewall which renders the throttle return spring ineffective for want of leverage. Thus you see many of these cars with extra throttle springs hooked on the linkage near the carb. I usually bolt the pieces together being careful to leave a good gap between the firewall and cross shaft.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Ross,

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

Posted on: 2015/10/27 20:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved