Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 80

Ross, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

paint removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
I have been requested to remove paint from a body panel on my current project. The requester used the term "gently" to describe the removal of paint. So I guess sand blasting is out. Suggestions?

Posted on: 2016/1/20 10:29
 Top  Print   

Re: paint removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The shops I'm familiar with that do high-end work use a chemical stripper.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 10:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
Thanks, I have used a chemical stripper on my Tear Drop camp trailer and found that it did the trick. I was able to do that project outdoors. That is not an option on this project, so I suppose I will need to use a fan to move as much air as possible.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
You could try a citrus-based stripper, they aren't real powerful but much less toxic. As we all know the nastier the chemical the better it works.

Scrape loosened paint off with plastic tools that you can toss when they start to wear or dissolve in the stripper. If you're doing a lot buy a box of real cheap windshield scrapers or similar. Also you can scrub with some scotch-brite pads to remove the loosened stuff.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 10:55
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
Thanks, we share views on citrus based strippers. I appreciate the suggestion of plastic tools. I typically shy away from one use wonders, mostly because I hate throw away attitude, but I might be a little frugal as well.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 11:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I developed a good 2 step technique when I worked at the Kughn collection. Go to the auto paint store, or the auto parts store and buy the aerosol cans of "Aircraft stripper" this is NASTY stuff, wear your thick rubber gloves. Step 1) Spray it on a manageable area of about 2 sq. ft. at a time, let is sit for about 10 minutes. The paint will start to curl up and look like Lasagna noodles. At this point you scrape it off with a bondo spreader or similar soft-edged scraper. There will be a layer of primer left.
Step 2) get a bunch of red Scotchbrite pads ( available from the auto paint store or Home Depot) Dip them in lacquer thinner and rub off the primer layer and you will be left with perfectly clean metal.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 15:52
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
Thanks, 1st layer of paint is bubbling away.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 17:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also a flat razor blade in a holder can be used to strip paint if the chemicals fumes or sanding dust would present a hazard indoors.

Posted on: 2016/1/21 14:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tubster
See User information
thanks, I think the project is done, at least for now.

Posted on: 2016/1/21 17:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved