Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 Windsheild trim removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I'm in the process of replacing the two piece Windsheild of my 41. I cannot for the life of me persuade the trim to release. Does anyone have any tips that might help? I assume that the center trim must be removed first but is equally as stubborn as the rest. Thank you in advance for any help.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 20:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Windsheild trim removal
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you checked for fasteners on the inside, under any of the moldings?

Also, if the rubber is petrified, you may need to cut it with a utility knife to spare managing the trim.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 12:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi Big Kev, Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how the trim is attached. I just assumed the glass has to come out towards the exterior. The rubber seal and glass does not allow me to see if there are clips. I was under the impression that the stainless trim is inserted into the rubber channel by interference fit.I'm at a loss for this. I always ask for input from those that have done this before. Thanks again

Posted on: 2016/3/14 13:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
1941 is before my level of knowledge, but on the later cars, you have to remove the inside window trim to expose the corner trim fasteners. Some of the trims have studs that extend through the rubber to the inside. So those stud fasteners need to be removed from the inside. Also, on the later cars, there is a "locking" strip of rubber on the inside that needs to be removed, to give the window seal enough play to slip over the frame lip. The windows do come out externally once that locking strip and any trim is removed.

As I said, if the rubber is hard, then it needs to be replaced anyway, so you should just cut it out to avoid mangling the trim. If the rubber is soft, then you can use some liquid dish soap as a lubricant, and a putty knife to help expand the trim channel and squirt in the soap.

At a minimum, I think you are going to have to remove the inside window moulding surround to see what's going on. On the later cars, it's a requirement to remove or install any of the windows.

Also on the later cars, the Steel Rubber replacement seals are not predrilled for the trim studs.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 13:59
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thanks again Big Kev,
I have removed the interior garnish molding as I have refinished them and have not replaced yet. I will look a little closer to see if I have overlooked something you mentioned in your previous post. Many "Thanks" again. When I figure this out I will post my findings.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Though I am not that familiar with the 41 model, there are a number of similarities between that and my 47 21st series. It may be the case that the stainless trim is clamped over the pinch weld and becomes the new "pinch weld" to which the rubber clips over. Cut the old rubber away, remove the center clip (rear) or center rail (front). I think you can remove it by working it inwards into the opening after the glass and rubber are cut away.
I struggled trying to figure how it was installed. Finally it made sense.
The sd card above simulates where the pinch weld fits. This looking as from the inside of car .

Attach file:

jpg  (95.53 KB)
97266_56e7128b988b5.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (55.39 KB)
97266_56e712a7bdc08.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/3/14 14:37
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you for your reply and photos

Posted on: 2016/3/15 7:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I was told by a vendor that the glass on a 41 is installed from the inside of the car and not the outside. Does this sound correct ?

Posted on: 2016/3/15 9:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is there anything in the Service Manual and/or Part Plates that may shed some light on it?

Posted on: 2016/3/15 9:49
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was told by a vendor that the glass on a 41 is installed from the inside of the car and not the outside

No direct knowledge and I suppose the vendor could be correct but I'd be flabbergasted if that was the case. No information on this in the Shop Manual or Parts List that I've ever taken note of.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 10:03
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved