Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
251 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 250

Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter - 1946 Super Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
Anyone have a starter for a 46 Super Clipper? Mine is dead. Cylinoid is good, but the starter motor won't turn (even when touched to 12v).

Posted on: 2016/4/22 20:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter - 1946 Super Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your Super should have the 356 engine and Autolite gear reduction starter. The solenoid should have a rectangular box on one end and moves the pinion into mesh. Is this the one you have? If so those were only on 356 and a few later senior engines and are getting scarce and expensive. If you do find one make every effort to repair the one you have as a spare.

When you connect the voltage are you going directly to the motor input terminal after the solenoid and still no action? Because of the scarcity of the starters I would stay away from 12v. There have been several reports of broken ends on various starters caused by torque produced at 12v slamming the pinion to the end of case and cracking the nose. Inconvenient but not as catastrophic on regular starters because those are comparatively plentiful next to the 356 starter.

If your car is stock and has the 356 with Autolite solenoid the starting circuit is a bit odd compared to other cars. The solenoid coil has a safety circuit and actually gets ground thru the generator. Because of the roundabout ground circuit the generator or a wiring problem in that circuit can keep the solenoid and starter from operating when you try to start.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 21:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
This is my starter. I'm going to take it to the local tractor repair place, see if they can rebuild it.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.18 KB)
121709_571aeb72293f0.jpg 960X538 px

Posted on: 2016/4/22 22:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a note regarding the 356 starters; one of the most neglected of all lubrication points on these cars is the 2nd, almost hidden, oiler for the gear reduction set. As HH points out these starters are not around in abundant supply so take proper care of the one you have.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 8:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved