Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 190

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 Packard 110 - Water Pump Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Copper washers are used on the two lower bolts that attach the pump to the block. Part # 302770, see group 50.6660
dimensions 5/8 OD, 25/64 ID 3/64 thick. The old ones can be reused.

In case you cannot locate your local Packard dealer, a hardware store is a good place to find them. Using a non-authorized part will not void your Packard 90 day new car warrantee

Posted on: 2016/7/18 11:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You really don't have much to loose trying a stud remover; usually they want more than ? inch to grasp but nothing ventured, nothing gained. And no risk trying moderate heat, might help, can't hurt.

What I would avoid is filing or grinding the stud end down flush with the block, it's nearly impossible to start a drill "dead center" to drill the stud out. Better to have some end left protruding, dress the end flat, and use one of those wonderful little tools that fits over the end of the stud with a pilot hole to start a very small drill on exact dead-center; then using a series or drills you can drill out to very close to the ID of the threaded hole at which time you can often pick out the remains with dental picks or the like. After this you may (or may not) need a thread repair such as Helicoil so if you go this route, go very slowly and carefully in very small increments.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
If you have enough of the stud sticking out, and you don't have access to a welder Maybe friend?) then switch to a small pipe wrench if you have the room. I find pipe wrenches work better then vice grips.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/7/18 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thank you, all! I'm on a business trip and eager to get back Friday night and spend the weekend fighting this stupid bolt!

Fred: I actually sprung for the 180 extended warranty on my car! ;)

Posted on: 2016/7/18 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Ragtime Kid wrote:
Thanks, JW. Can you get those copper washers at a regular parts store?...

RK, I have not bought any copper washers in a long time. Some here have said they are difficult to find. Recommend visiting a good auto parts store and see what they have. Others here may have a better idea.

Sometimes a little impact, striking the end of the broken bolt, will help to loosen it along with heat and penetrating oil. Light tapping should do it, not strong hammer blows.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/7/19 10:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most parts stores have assortments of standard size copper washers so you should be able to find them easily enough. It is the special larger sizes like Packard used on brake masters I had a problem finding.

Posted on: 2016/7/19 11:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bought a box of assorted copper washers at HF for a few bucks. They come in handy.

Posted on: 2016/7/19 11:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
I'll second the HF purchase of copper washers. The 80 piece assortment is $4.99.

http://goo.gl/cZ5Ts3

Posted on: 2016/7/20 11:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved