Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 229

William Grosz, Ross, Don B, Trevor, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brake issue 1937 120c convertible pulling to the left
Just popping in
Just popping in

ritterdm
See User information
Having a problem with my 1937 120c convertible pulling to the left when braking. brakes have been redone including new master cylinders, hoses, etc the works. Great care exercised to adjust and bleed correctly. but despite repeated attempts to fix, still pulls to left when braking. Any comments, suggestions, experience with similar problems appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 21:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake issue 1937 120c convertible pulling to the left
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Mine was doing this until I followed the adjustments in the manual word for word. Perfect after that.

One thought... drums and shoes in same arch? Did you have shoes relined or put in new shoes without turning drums?

Are brake cylinders pushing from both sides on both primary and secondary shoes at same force?

Posted on: 2016/11/10 22:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Badly worn king pin?

Posted on: 2016/11/10 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I owned a '37 120 C sedan for 29 years. It developed a similar condition except it would pull left or right, mostly to the left. A complete front brake system rebuild and numerous brake shoe adjustments had no effect on the condition. It turned out to be worn kingpins. You should have the kingpins checked for wear and most likely they'll need to be replaced.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 23:22
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Had the same issue in the spring, especially when hard braking ( it would change lanes ) bad wheel cylinder leaked fluid on the shoes. Buddy said that it would be hard to get all the brake fluid out of the polluted shoes, replaced them, solved the problem

Posted on: 2016/11/14 10:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Back in my much earlier days when I worked part time in an auto service garage, if brake shoes were lightly contaminated with grease from a leaking seal we'd often try to clean and save them if the owner was concerned about cost. But when they were wet with brake fluid they were quite automatically discarded. And if we couldn't get the exact same make and type of lining as the opposite wheel, it was best practice to replace both sides.

Posted on: 2016/11/14 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Doesn't hurt to check the brakes bands to see if they are wet, but if they are you usually get a locked up wheel when braking not just pulling to one side or the other. At least that is what I've found. Just a little pressure and the wet brake locks until you remove your foot from the brake pedal.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/11/15 21:57
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ritterdm
See User information
Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. The problem turned our to be new but contaminated brake shoes which once replaced(again) solved the problem and pulling completely eliminated.

Posted on: 2016/11/16 22:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved