Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

DM37, Kevinanderson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: When and how the luxury market dominance was being lost?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In an attempt to get this discussion back to the original intent, I would be interested in what name Packard could have used for it junior cars to differentiate them from the senior Packards. Like Cadillac and LaSalle. I am not coming up with anything. Anybody?

Posted on: 2008/12/21 12:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Naming it the Macauley has been written of and suggested many times in the lore, though as far as I know Packard never considered it.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With ego involved, surprised it wasn't the Christopher.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 12:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I look at it this way, once the decision was made to use the Packard-profile grille shell and all the other Packard styling trademarks and cues, what choice was there but to call it a Packard? And I'm sure that was always their plan.

If they had made the same car but removed all the Packard identifiers, what would you have had? Another Rockne, an Erskine, a Lafayettte, a Marquette? They all failed to accomplish much of anything for their owners with the possible exception of the Lafayette.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 13:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I agree with Owen. Packard knew that companion cars were rarely a success during the Depression. The Lafayette was the only exception and had limited success. LaSalle and Pontiac (companion to the Oakland) were introduced in the 1920's so by the 1930's had established a clientele.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
2. I will let someone else explain the abusrdity of the above quote. I know Packard53 can explain it. Probabaly MrPushbutton and Packards1 also can. Or maybe go read some old copies of the Dearborn Centinnel ca 1920's-40's.

My apology for being partly responsible for taking this thread off course. I am not sure what you are getting at. This obviously this is not the place to debate this. Please PM me as I am confused somewhat but would also like to be enlightened. I am aware of Ford's anti Semitism, his Nazi sympathies and his anti union battle with Walter Reuther and the UAW but that does not mean he would have condoned the Holocaust.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I also tend to agree with O_D, but carrying this one step farther, "Clipper" would have been a great name. I think calling the 1941-47 newly styled cars by this name was a mistake along with continuing a 6-cylinder model. The '30s junior cars as Clippers, and the newly styled cars still bearing the Packard name. The junior "Clippers" could have still had a strong family appearance, without infringing as much as they did on the senior Packard's styling. Further, I never understood why the PMCC started the Clipper model line. Maybe because they were continuing with a few models of the old-style cars. I do not know.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 16:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I think the Packard felt a need to offer a model to compete with the Cadillac 60 Special which was introduced in 1938 which was a departure from the Cadillac's other models being lower and wider. Had Packard been able to introduce the Clipper in 1938 it would have been nothing short of revolutionary. In my opinion Packard certainly succeeded with the Clipper styling and gave the company a modern car looking model. I don't think Clipper was ever considered as a model name prior to 1941.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 16:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
And don't forget the Germans. The atrocities against the the Jews and Roma and Slavic peoples has no parallel in human history. It was always in the back of my mind when I owned a Mercedes that that same company (using slave labour)built vehicles, , aero and marine engines which helped to transport Hitler's hordes across Europe. I now drive a Ford Crown Victoria and a Volvo 240 made here in good old Canada.
The present generations of these countries weren't even born when these atrocities occurred so perhaps it would be best to forgive but not forget.

What the Russians did during WWII and after under Stalin is far worse than anything the Germans could come up with. The hype over the Germans during WWII is mainly from the Germans not wanting to play the game of the world financiers, and working out a barter system with other countries, since they were completely bankrupt after WWI, and couldn't afford to buy anything from anyone.

Not trying to approve of anything that the Germans under Hitler did, but the facts are there if you look hard enough. The Germans weren't the only bad people of the era, even the US had it's share of crimes, namely the camps that the Japanese were in. People do bad things all the time, it's just human nature. (NOW I sound like Petey! LOL)

Posted on: 2008/12/21 18:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Caribbean
See User information
a couple of the Packard parts dealers have also committed atrocity against humans some are very honest though

Posted on: 2008/12/21 19:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved