Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

Caribbeandude, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Looking for a body and a frame....
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am trying to see if I can locate a short wheel base body and frame from a 20's or perhaps a 30's car (maybe from a 6 cylinder car?). A convertible or roadster body prefered, but not required. I am NOT looking for a restore canidate, but something rougher that may have been passed up by others.

I have an idea for all Packard Rat-Rod or Tradional Hot Rod (I know, I can hear to boo's already, but wait) that would use nothing but unwanted Packard parts. I am not looking to gut something that is restoreable, but something that be sitting in a field somewhere that others have tagged as unrestorable or not worth it. Basically I just need a frame and body, and the doors. Then I can find a radiator shell, suspension, and hopefully a 352 for power.

Just an idea at this point, trying so see how feasable it would be. I think the crux of this would be finding the right frame and body to pull it off. I think it would be neat concept to pull together a pile of rusty, unwanted, unused, or discarded parts and make something unique out of it that isnt just another chopped up Model A or T, and that uses nothing but Packard parts. I shall call it project Pack-Rat.

So no restorable Packards would be hurt in the process, but we get another Packard (in spirit) back on the road. A stripped down car with a V8 engine. That may give that Avanti a run for it's money!

Posted on: 2007/7/25 8:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking for a body and a frame....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Big Kev--I had this very same idea about 15 years ago, and were money and time more available I wouldn't mind taking a 36-39 110 coupe and making an all Packard nice rod. 374 v-8, manual trans out of a V-8 Clipper.

Posted on: 2007/7/25 9:43
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have always liked the 110 coupes.

The only problem I just throught of would be any of the bodies that used wood sub-structure.

Posted on: 2007/7/25 10:58
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've always had the idea of doing like Mr. Pushbutton suggested, only with a '55-'56 Torsion Level chassis.

Imagine if Packard had that big V8 and the T/L chassis in 1936? They'd of had one heck of a winner!

Posted on: 2007/7/25 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Several years ago there was a Caribbean chassis and drive train with a 46 or 47 Clipper body mounted on it listed in Hemmings. The guy wanted $1500.00, but it was in Missouri.

Posted on: 2007/7/25 16:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
BigKev,

As someone who came from a rodding/dragster background, some 35/40 years ago, until the simmering Packard bug infected me of recent time I support your concept.

However the only drawback I see is with using a so called unrestorable body and then bringing it back to a usable state. The purists will be saying why didn't you go all the way amd restore it, so you can't win with them whatever you do.

Meanwhile the more broadminded amongst us will be applauding your inventiveness while retaining "All-Packardness".

Concerning late 30's Coupes, I think from 38 on Packards are all steel.

It's up to you BigKev.

Posted on: 2007/7/30 15:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Well, I'm doing some back-reading because it's too hot outside to do much else. Kev, if you're still interested in a project like this, or anyone else is, there is the entire front suspension (including segments of the frame!) from a 1937 Junior Packard on the Tuscon craigslist.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 16:49
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No more projects until the Clipper is off to paint. So I still have many months aheads of me.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 17:04
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I am trying to see if I can locate a short wheel base body and frame from a 20's or perhaps a 30's car (maybe from a 6 cylinder car?). A convertible or roadster body prefered, but not required. I am NOT looking for a restore canidate, but something rougher that may have been passed up by others.

I have an idea for all Packard Rat-Rod or Tradional Hot Rod (I know, I can hear to boo's already, but wait) that would use nothing but unwanted Packard parts. I am not looking to gut something that is restoreable, but something that be sitting in a field somewhere that others have tagged as unrestorable or not worth it. Basically I just need a frame and body, and the doors. Then I can find a radiator shell, suspension, and hopefully a 352 for power.

I should put you in touch with a buddy of mine who has dreams of building a "Funny Car" powered by a 9 main bearing Packard straight eight.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 17:37
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Hi Kev - just love the Pack-Rat name. I think you should do this if only so you have something to pin that name to!!

As my father has often been heard to say, it's like grandpas axe... it's had 10 different handles and 4 different heads, but it is still the same bloody axe! Restoration is a tricky thing. I would suggest that (IMHO)a body, for example, that is so badly rusted that large areas have to be replaced with new metal is not being restored - it is being replaced or remade. To my mind restoration means to bring the original back to near new condition - not replacing or remaking everthing so that it looks new. Many cars, to my mind, (especially many racing cars I have seen with significant histories) have been over-restored and end up better than they ever were. Outside resonable saftey and reliability concerns I think this is a mistake. This is all part of why I was so happy to hear of the increasing popularity of 'survivor cars' in the US and I hope the trend catches on here. Otherwise, just jack up the radiator cap, push a new car in underneath and 'tadah!' - a fully restored original car! Contenscious issue I know, but just my opinion.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 7:04
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved