Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Nylon Bias-Ply vs. Radial
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
When I purchased my 1939 Six, it had bias-ply tires. They are very old and in having the various mechanics and car guys look at them in the year or so that I have had the car, numerous comments have been made of cracks in the sidewalls. I concur that they are not a good thing, even though the tires have tubes, and wanted to replace them with radial replicas, ala the Coker Tire series. I have had constant mechanical problems with this car and, as such, it has not yet seen the highway, but hoping to have that behind me this spring, I bought a set of used Michelin radials off a car-buff friend. They are 'tubed' tires and the same size (6.50 X 16/ 6.50R 16) as came with the vehicle, and I am told there could be problems switching to radials on this car. Can anybody give me some guidance?? I have never liked the way bias-ply tires 'lead' and pull and thought radials would be better; from the information I received, sounds like that may not be the case. Anybody have any experience on this?? Thanks for any & all.

Posted on: 2017/4/1 17:49
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Nylon Bias-Ply vs. Radial
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your rims will accept tubeless tires, either radial or bias ply. No tubes required as long as the rims are in good condition.

Posted on: 2017/4/1 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Owen - what a load that is off my mind! I thought I'd bought the radial tires and wasn't going to be able to use them!! Is there any issue actually using the tubes with radial tires, as long as they are all balanced properly?? Kind of a 'belt and suspenders' approach??

Posted on: 2017/4/1 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Suposedly tubes are not to be used with radials because the radiial will "rub" the tube thin. I've never tried running tubes with radials.

If u don't need the tube then why run the tube???

Posted on: 2017/4/1 20:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have some recently aquired tubes that are fairly modern tubes printed directly on tube "do Not Use in Radials".

The tubes i have are modern motorcycle application.

Attach file:

jpg  (168.67 KB)
35_58e056a3dcf13.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/4/1 20:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for the replies and advice. Re the comment 'if you don't need the tubes, why run the tubes?' that is a good point. I was just thinking that the bias-ply tires on there now, have tubes and was reasoning that they might add a 'second line of defense' against leakage with the very old rims. I'll get the tire guy to go over them with a wire wheel, etc., and check them carefully for leaks, sans the tubes.
Thanks again for the help.

Posted on: 2017/4/1 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Radial tiers are usually tubeless, but some are tube type. If you use a tube in a radial tire it must be for a radial type tire. I have tube type radial tires (Coker Excelsior) on my hot rod, and tubeless radials (Diamondback Hankook) on my 1937 Packard Six. A good tire shop should be able to advise you on whether your tires are tube or tubeless type radials.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/1 23:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I run tubeless radials on my wire wheels. It took some effort to seal up the wheels but obviously worth it.

Posted on: 2017/4/2 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
What did you need to do to your wheels Randy to get them air tight??
John

Posted on: 2017/4/2 16:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved