Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Generator on 1941 Business Coupe 6 cylinder
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chas
See User information
I have not worked on a generator before but need to take mine off so it can be rebuilt and then put it back on. What is the correct procedure for doing this? Do I need to disconnect any battery cables or simply disconnect the wires and then the bolts holding it on? Same question for putting it back on.

Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2017/10/13 10:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator on 1941 Business Coupe 6 cylinder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good practice is to ALWAYS disable the battery when working on the electrical system. Generally this is done by removing the ground cable at the battery; if your car is unaltered this would be the (+) terminal.

When you reinstall, connect the generator wires first, then reconnect the battery. If you see an arc or spark when connecting the battery, something is incorrect so recheck. Then before starting the car, "polarize" the generator. Seems this is asked almost monthly, you can search for the method or someone will almost certainly come along and post it yet once more.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have never removed battery cables when removing and installing generators. There are three wires. Two wires connected to the generator's terminals (the large ARM or GEN, the smaller FLD) and a third ground wire connected to the case.

It is important to polarize the generator after installing. After reinstalling the generator, and with all switches and accessories turned off, briefly touch the BAT and GEN or ARM terminals on the voltage regulator with a jumper wire of 14 or 12 gauge wire. This procedure has been described many times on this site and you may be able to find more information on this with a SEARCH.

With the generator removed it is a good time to check the condition of the V-belt. Also, it is a good time to check the condition of the water pump. With the belt removed, spin the fan, the pump should be smooth and quiet. If it makes any noise, the bearing is going bad and likely to fail in the not too distant future. This usually occurs far from home in bad weather and/or in darkness.

Good luck.

JWL

Edit: O_D beat me to replying to you, and I agree it is always a good practice to disconnect the battery when working on anything electrical.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 10:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chas
See User information
Thank you so much for the great help. I am learning so much every day from Guys like you and it makes all of this so much more fun.

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2017/10/13 13:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chas
See User information
Thank you so much for the quick and informative reply. As I told the other Gentleman who responded, Folks like you make this even more fun for me, I am learning a great deal about the mechanical side of this Classic.

Thanks again, your information is extremely helpful.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 13:42
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chas
See User information
Thank you so much for the quick and informative reply. As I told the other Gentleman who responded, Folks like you make this even more fun for me, I am learning a great deal about the mechanical side of this Classic.

Thanks again, your information is extremely helpful.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
When you get it rebuilt, I suggest that you have a sealed bearing installed, rather than one that needs to be oiled periodically.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 15:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved