Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 Eight transmission removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DonO
See User information
The rear motor mount is located on the transmission on the 1934 Eight. Can the rear of the motor be blocked up to remove the transmission? The bell housing and pan appear to be one unit and are made of aluminum. Does that have the necessary strength for the weight?

Posted on: 2018/11/28 16:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 Eight transmission removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, you can block up the motor with a broad flat support beneath the oil pan at the rear though I'd prefer to support it at the edges where the pan attaches to the crankcase, thus it's supported by the crankcase and not the oil pan. Just make a simple wooden support cradle.

Posted on: 2018/11/28 17:17
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DonO
See User information
Thanks, I have heard that there was a Packard service tool for holding up the rear of the motor. Does anyone have one that could be used, rented or purchased? Or is there a picture available so I could make one? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2018/12/1 17:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard's March 1935 "Special Tools and Shop Equipment" catalog shows S.T. 1427 which is a metal cradle. The cradle is made to mount on a rolling Walker jack stand. The text says it's designed for the 10th Series but the 11th Series are the same.

I'll scan and post a pix when I get a chance. I've never seen one and my suggestion remains that you just make a simple wooden cradle to put on your floor jack.

EDIT: Adding image

Attach file:

jpg  (164.62 KB)
177_5c03df59e826e.jpg 760X1550 px

Posted on: 2018/12/1 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
I think theres some holes in the frame u can mount an angle iron. Over the years ive come to the conclusion its faster and safer to pull the engine/trans assy.

Posted on: 2018/12/1 19:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved