Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Mystery Engine Serial Number
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
I have a new Packard 120 owner who has registered his 1936 Packard 120 Convertible Sedan with me. However his engine number doesn't make sense. I am sure it is a replacement Packard engine, but what year and model is a mystery. The serial number is located behind the distributor and is 3234173C (maybe the C is a Q). As you know, Packard automobile engines had the letter before the numbers, not after.

Does anyone know what year/model this engine could be from, or do you know anyone in the club who is an expert on Packard engine serial numbers that could solve this mystery?

I have attached a file with a picture of the number. Sorry for the poor picture.

Thanks for your help.

Joe Hopkins
1935-1937 Packard 120 Roster Keeper

Attach file:

jpg  (104.39 KB)
3468_5cbdf506dba11.jpg 1024X588 px

Posted on: 2019/4/22 12:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Mystery Engine Serial Number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Let me correct your understanding; Packard motor numbers came in all flavors; depending on year and model, not all began with a letter, many were 6 characters, all digits. This is especially true for most prewar senior engines.

And many motor numbers used suffix letters (after the #) to identify running changes in motor specs, "C" was a very common suffix, different meaning in different years. If you search this site for motor number suffixes you should find a lot of detail info.

What's really curious about your number is not the suffix "C" but that it has two many digits, should almost certainly be 6, some had 4, not aware of any that had 7. One might suspect a factory service replacement motor which at least in some years were supplied without numbers, leaving the choice of numbering to the installing dealer.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave (O_D), it is the leading 3 which marches to a different drummer. A usual 3 should be straight on top.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 13:47
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Could that first one be a 'B' Dave???

Posted on: 2019/4/22 13:47
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...And many motor numbers used suffix letters (after the #) to identify running changes in motor specs, "C" was a very common suffix, different meaning in different years. If you search this site for motor number suffixes you should find a lot of detail info...

Joe (packick), Dave (Owen_Dyneto) is referring to

-> #1

-> #2

-> #3

Posted on: 2019/4/22 14:00
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Gusha! And yes - the first digit is the "odd man out".

And Chris, if it were a "B", it still doesn't decode for me.

PS. Fred Kanter just suggested to me that the first character is probably a "G" which would make it a 22nd Series 288 motor G234173C, and the suffix C would denote the improved pistons and rings. As I look again, I believe he may be correct, a better photograph sure would have helped. Should be easy to confirm with the head off, different bore and stroke than the prewar "120" motor.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't remember where I saw it, but updated parts were being distributed with instructions to add digits to the motor number. As well, replacement blocks were marked with a code on the deck indicating bore oversize.

That should open some route to follow, but the additional digits were added by dealers and open to much variation.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 16:21
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
Thanks for your replies. I have asked the owner if he could get a clearer picture of the engine number. If he can, I will post it. So far, to me, Fred's interpretation seems likely.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The casting date on the block could also provide a clue

Posted on: 2019/4/23 0:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Manipulating the image with irfanview, this is the best I can get it. Looks possibly to be G234173C.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (19.71 KB)
409_5cbf04c2c0b2c.jpg 500X111 px

Posted on: 2019/4/23 7:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved