Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

120 vent lever, picture?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
I have a pretty good vent lever knob, still on the lever. I am thinking of having them reproduced. Does anyone have a picture of the lever without the knob? I am trying to see what I am getting myself into while trying to remove the knob.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 11:03
 Top  Print   

Re: 120 vent lever, picture?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did you have any particular year of "120" in mind?

Posted on: 2009/3/6 11:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Two types of attachment seem to be repeatedly used used over the various years. It the shaft is round, and the knob doesn't have a bushing for threading on then there is usually a knurled surface on the shaft having slight ridges the knob can be pressed over when warm.

Haven't seen a 120 recently, but if the shaft is rectangular like the 47 then almost always they had small barbs on the thinner edges pointing away from the knob which would bite into the warm plastic when pushed on.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 11:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the 1940-47 vent handles have been in reproduction for some time by Vinarcik (Yesterday's Radio). Don't know about the earlier ones.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 12:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
Did you have any particular year of "120" in mind?

Sorry, I didn't expect any variation. The car is a '38, so technically it is an "Eight" instead of "120".

The lever is flat and I don't see any way it theads on. It almost appears to have been cast in place. I supect it is a "press fit".

Posted on: 2009/3/6 13:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
If I have figured out the system, a picture is attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.74 KB)
1306_49b23e347620d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/3/7 4:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks extremely similiar if not the same as the one already in reproduction; see page 5 of Yesterday's Radio catalog. They were attached by virtue of the thermoplastic nature of the material, i.e. heated, inserted, and allowed to cool.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 8:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Shape wise, knob sure does look identical to those repro'd for 40-47 but curious about the shaft size & color. The 46-7 shaft has slightly over 1/8 width whereas the 38 one looks a bit thicker unless it's a photo delusion.. Any idea how yours compares to the 40-41. If same, then wonder if the 40 knob would fit & you'd be wasting your time..

Posted on: 2009/3/7 10:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
Looks extremely similiar if not the same as the one already in reproduction; see page 5 of Yesterday's Radio catalog. They were attached by virtue of the thermoplastic nature of the material, i.e. heated, inserted, and allowed to cool.

I had looked at that, and didn't see it. I had better look again.

I was ready to head for the art supply store and get some rubber molding material and casting resin.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 14:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
Shape wise, knob sure does look identical to those repro'd for 40-47 but curious about the shaft size & color. The 46-7 shaft has slightly over 1/8 width whereas the 38 one looks a bit thicker unless it's a photo delusion.. Any idea how yours compares to the 40-41. If same, then wonder if the 40 knob would fit & you'd be wasting your time..

It is not handy for me to measure at the moment, but there is distortion in the photo. It looks like a rod, it is flat.

I don't know of a local 40-41 to compare it to.

If it is the same, I wonder why Yesterday;s Radio doesn't list it? Could be oversight.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 14:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved