Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Another question...generator and regulator
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
Sorry to be such a bother, but...I hooked up my generator and regulator per the response to my previous post, but it's not charging. Is there a way to test the generator and regulator?
Thanks again.
Paul

Posted on: 2009/3/15 23:00
1947 Clipper Deluxe (parts), 1947 Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA #VII
 Top  Print   

Re: Another question...generator and regulator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Try polarizing the generator per the instructions from 55-6 manual. (The procedure is the same for all systems, this just happened to be handy.) Basically just touch a wire between B and GEN for a second or 2. There will be a small spark, then remove wire and start engine.

If that doesn't help then suggest downloading the 51-4 electrical section. There are a few tests in the section that can be done with a regular volt-ohm meter. Others such as current test probably won't be able to be done without higher capacity equipment.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Electrical_VIII.pdf There is a small troubleshooting section at the end.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.72 KB)
209_49be52697af52.jpg 388X104 px

Posted on: 2009/3/16 8:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't vouch for this method working on all generator/regulator variations, but as a kid I'd see old-timers temporarily ground the field terminal of the regulator. If the ammeter then showed maximum charge, the problem was the regulator. If it didn't the problem was the generator. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge base can comment on this.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 8:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Valid test. There is a version of it in the 55-56 quick checks section. Same caution applies: have engine at idle and slowly bring up speed until generator shows activity or not.

Grounding the field causes generator to put out maximum current which is substantial and can cause much damage if allowed more than a few seconds.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ecv. What makes u think it is not charging?????

DEFINATELY try the above recommendations.

Something else to try is to start the engine. While the engine is STILL RUNNING disconnect the battery terminal. Mite have to raise idle speed to keep engine from dieing. Connect a volt meter between the OTHER battery post and disconnected cable and take a reading at various engine speeds. NEXT, connect and Ammter between the DIS connected battery post and it's cable end, take readings.

DISCALIMER: DO NOT ATTEMPT to operate starter motor unless battery cables are reattached. Doing so will burn up wires due to the extreme current draw of the starter motor.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 10:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Don't you connect the field to power not ground? I mean, to test if the generator is charging?

If you give it full voltage and rev the engine a bit it should charge like crazy.

Check your wiring for frayed wires, loose connections and corrosion.

It also helps to check out the brushes and be sure they are free to move, and not worn down. If the end of the brush is below the top of the brush holder it's time for new ones (about $10 bucks a set). You can do this without taking the generator off in most cases. I look at them, using a mirror if necessary. And pull on the wire with needle nose pliers after giving them a shot of electronic cleaner or WD40. This usually does the trick.

Tap the voltage reg with a screwdriver handle. Sometimes it works. If necessary you can take the top off the reg and make sure the points aren't stuck, give them a shot of electronic cleaner and drag a piece of white paper between the points.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 17:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Don't you connect the field to power not ground?

In this application, the field is already connected to battery by having one leg connected to A inside generator. In normal operation the other leg (F) is connected to ground via a set of contacts and a parallel resistor in regulator. As soon as generator starts charging the contacts open and close rapidly either shorting directly to ground or opening so ground is thru the resistor. Bypassing regulator in the test totally removes the resistor and contacts from consideration so generator will be at full output.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 17:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
Everything's working now--I swapped in the generator and regulator from my parts car, and now there's power.
Thanks everyone!
Paul

Posted on: 2009/3/29 22:41
1947 Clipper Deluxe (parts), 1947 Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA #VII
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved