Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

Pack120c, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Battery isolation switch
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
1 have a 1928 Packard 526. It has the battery box on the right hand side, next to the front fender. I believe this was standard on Single Sixes and Eights during the ‘20s and 1930, except for those cars with sidemounts.

I would like to mount a battery cutout switch, but am undecided where best to put it. I would really appreciate it if those of you who have installed battery switches on these model cars would describe where you located yours and discuss your satisfaction with the result. If you can provide a picture, that would be even better.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Phil

Posted on: 2023/6/11 20:52
Phil
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery isolation switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I fitted the battery isolator on the back of the battery box on the 633 Roadster. It was very convenient and reasonably concealed by the sidemounts.
It encroached on the space in the box which was not an issue with an Optima battery

Posted on: 2023/6/12 17:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if mounting directly to the box wouldn't work because of a larger battery or if you wanted something more hidden you could mount the switch inside the engine compt or under the car and operate it by a push-pull cable setup. Mount the operating handle where it is out of sight inside the car. I did that on my 47 by mounting the switch under the battery tray where it is mostly out of sight and placed the operating knob under the dash.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0810.jpeg (63.62 KB)
209_6487ba327e41f.jpeg 1280X480 px

jpeg  IMG_2333.jpeg (95.59 KB)
209_6487bacd7fad0.jpeg 1280X819 px

Posted on: 2023/6/12 19:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Fitted an isolator on my 740 the same way DavidM did, through the rear of the battery box. Placement is important and exacting - too far to the outboard and it will interfere with the cover mounting post, too far to the inboard and the switch lever will hit the sidemount bracket bolt. An Optima battery is needed as it is small enough to allow isolator and extra cable in the box. A regular lead acid battery will have clearance issues.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN4133.JPG (176.17 KB)
156395_6488ebfedc25d.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/13 17:21
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
My thanks to each of you for your advice. I’m considering both approaches. I really like Howard’s approach and will see if I can design and fabricate something similar for my car. For my car, it would be less obvious to the casual observer than mounting a switch to the back of the battery box, as my car does not have a side mounted spare.

Mounting the switch to the back of the battery box is a far easier approach and won’t tax my engineering skills nearly as much. One possibility is to buy a switch similar to the one shown in the attachment and replace the nut with a knurled ring. If painted the same color as the battery box, it shouldn’t be too obvious.

I’ll have to give it some more thought , but one of these approaches should work nicely. Thanks very much for your help.

Phil

Attach file:

png  Cole Hersey.png (857.56 KB)
225887_648b231631ac1.png 1506X1288 px

Posted on: 2023/6/15 9:41
Phil
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I personally would be somewhat circumspect about using a keyed switch as one important need for the switch is to be able to cut off power immediately in case of a short or fire. Can't really see much of a need for a keyed switch anyway with our cars and I prefer the look of a lever handle.

Also, avoid inexpensive switches. Bought one of the $12 models that leaked a small amount of current across the poles when off. Not good. Replaced with a Napa switch. Switch can also be a bottleneck in a 6V system getting sufficient current to the starter where double ought cables are a must. Switch should be rated for high amperage.

Posted on: 2023/6/15 14:03
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
Rob,
“…one important need for the switch is to be able to cut off power immediately in case of a short or fire.”
“…avoid inexpensive switches. “

Both good points. I once bought one of the cheap switches with the green knobs. It failed.

Thanks for the input. It will be a while before I can work on the car again, but when I install a switch, I will post a picture of my chosen solution.

Posted on: 2023/6/16 20:35
Phil
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You definitely want a heavy duty, high quality disconnect switch. I'd want a lever type main disconnect, preferabley concealed, yet readily accessible, and if you want more security, put a supplemental, hidden key lock switch on the ignition circuit and starter solenoid circuit.

That way, you'd have the disconnect, the stock keyed switch, and the additional security of the concealed ignition/starter keyed switch.

That would eliminate any casual tampering and would challenge most car thieves.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 12:09
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved