Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 204

Phat Jonny, ScottG, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

5587 generator issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
A prior "restoration /preservation had converted the 6 volt system to 12 volts. I beleive the car sat for around 12 years with no significant driving other than to start and run briefly. Still working thru some glitches in electrical...fuel gauge, radio etc but most of the electrical systems are working fine. After driving several trips of 30-50 miles round trip, I realized the generator is not charging the battery. I believe I saw a reference to the conversion issues that might arise but can't find that thread. Any suggestions as to where to start trouble shooting the wiring from generator?

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0950.jpg (541.64 KB)
97266_648f27c3d0c56.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_0481.jpg (422.44 KB)
97266_648f27ee22aa4.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/6/18 10:51
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 5587 generator issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
55-56 cars were always 12v but while 55 kept the old positive ground 56 finally changed to negative ground. If your 55 is now running a negative ground and the generator was never repolarized for that change it is possible that could be the reason it is not charging.

Presuming it still has a generator and that was not changed out to an alternator during any conversion work it would not hurt to give a repolarizing a try. It may not help but done correctly, it will not hurt anything either.

To repolarize, get a short piece of decent size wire -- about 14ga will do. With key off and everything else connected as usual use the piece of wire to BRIEFLY short the BAT and ARM terminals together at the regulator. The FLD terminal must not be shorted in this procedure so make sure you are working with the BAT and ARM terminals only. A quick 2 second or so connection is all it takes to magnetically polarize the field coil pole pieces in the generator so that when the engine starts a small voltage will be produced that is enough to bring in the relay that connects the rest of the regulator and charging circuits.

If the battery ground was changed to a negative ground it is OK to leave it that way as nothing that was standard at the time is polarity sensitive -- although some regulators are labeled as positive or negative and it is still a question as to what exactly is different. There are other things that may need to change though. If wire connections were not swapped, the ammeter will read backwards and the coil will not be as efficient if it still has the + terminal going to the distributor and ground. If anything was changed to a modern solid state replacement such as the radio vibrator any solid state items may be damaged.

If the car ground is correct and repolarizing did not help then another test can be done using the FLD terminal to try and isolate the problem to the generator or regulator. If you need to do that test you will need a voltmeter and the short piece of wire.

Posted on: 2023/6/18 11:44
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Thqnk you Howard...brain Phart on my end re 6-12 volt vs Pos-Neg ground. The ground was indeed changed to Negative while my 47 retains the positive ground (note to self...pay attention:)
Will give that a try.
Cheers
Bob

Posted on: 2023/6/18 14:34
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
If your 55 is now running a negative ground and the generator was never repolarized for that change it is possible that could be the reason it is not charging.

Either that or it is still positive ground but the battery was installed incorrectly! That seems the most likely scenario to me.

Posted on: 2023/6/18 14:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
I would definitely polarize the generator to whatever polarity the battery is now.

The generator might be currently polarized the other way, or it might not have polarity at all. The residual magnetism stored in the field coil pole pieces that gives the generator polarity slowly decays over time (years) while the generator sits unused. The generator needs this residual magnetism to start up. Polarizing restores it.

You can polarize the generator by pushing the cutout relay closed, too. It does the same thing as the jumper wire.

Posted on: 2023/6/22 19:00
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved