Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 48 »

Re: Resurrecting a 1951 Henney-Packard Parts Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’m back in California now but one more note on the work. When I put the bell housing cover back on, I noticed that several of the bolts had flattened threads so rather than forcing them in, I’ll have to run a thread-chaser through the holes and put in new (or at least different) bolts. Posting it here will be kind of a reminder to myself for the next trip up!

Also, the new rear yoke finally arrived yesterday long after I was on the way back home but more importantly the package included the seal for the overdrive lockout which I hope I can install with the transmission in place. The old one, of course, has already been removed.

This is the first time in many decades that the rear of the engine has been properly supported! Until now, it was resting on the exhaust pipe which, fortunately, was quite strong.

Attach file:

jpeg  0F497550-AB49-4BAC-8FD5-E1991B847951.jpeg (102.20 KB)
60923_645d4fc04cc02.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2023/5/11 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I am heading to my Oregon shop for a couple weeks in July and would like to have the fuel tank insulator strips waiting for me when I get there in case I get the the time to install it. However, Max Merritt has only this size and type when my car uses two different widths, both flat, with a wide one on top at the body and a narrower one under the straps. I've never seen the type that Merritt has on any of my Packards. Is there another source?

Attach file:

png  image002.png (150.66 KB)
60923_64924817cb835.png 614X616 px

png  image001.png (36.99 KB)
60923_6492483aad92b.png 626X617 px

Posted on: 2023/6/20 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
I am heading to my Oregon shop for a couple weeks in July and would like to have the fuel tank insulator strips waiting for me when I get there in case I get the the time to install it. However, Max Merritt has only this size and type when my car uses two different widths, both flat, with a wide one on top at the body and a narrower one under the straps. I've never seen the type that Merritt has on any of my Packards. Is there another source?

I used 3 layers of heavy roofing paper bonded together and cut to length and width to match the original thickness

Posted on: 2023/6/21 0:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And you could also look into some of the flat glass setting tape or liner materials such as those carried by Restoration Specialties.

Posted on: 2023/6/21 9:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Some masticated rubber cut into the correct width strips would work as well.

Posted on: 2023/6/21 10:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you all. I’m actually looking for something specific that I can order in advance of my trip as I will have little time and limited transportation to hunt for stuff once I get there.

Posted on: 2023/6/21 10:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The stuff Merritt offers looks similar to the universal extruded material made by Metro and sold by Summit, Jegs etc. I don't see a specific item at Steele and since they are just flat pieces with no specific shape maybe not carried by any of the vendors.

If you wanted something waiting I think easiest would be to order a roll of the cork/rubber material from Restoration in a thickness of 3/32 which I think would be about the thickness of 3 sheets of average weight tar paper. Thickness is not terribly critical in that use anyway. If you get a 1 1/2 width which I think would work for a typical strap -- at least it should on a passenger car strap. Cut 4 pieces to fit the lengths which is probably about 2 ft each or so and use the strap and a utility knife to do a quick side trim to fit the actual widths. Doubt it would take more than a few minutes to do.

Posted on: 2023/6/21 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. The top pieces are the more important of the two sides (I can add them to the straps later if needed) and are much wider than the straps, probably somewhere between 2” and 3” wide. I measured when I was last there but apparently forgot to make note of it! These would probably be the type used on the pre-‘51 cars as that’s the type of tank it has.

Posted on: 2023/6/21 11:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I’m sure my metal straps came from Kanter, and the rubber, too, but rubber may have come from Steele at the time (1990?).the extra long SS T-bolts came from McMaster

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0818.jpeg (347.33 KB)
1067_649329447a62c.jpeg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/6/21 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Joe. The material on yours looks good but isn’t stock as the factory used a flat heavy paper-like material rather than extruded rubber. Also, my t-bolts are not removable which was shown earlier in this blog and they are at the front of the tank which is quite unlike those on the passenger cars.

Posted on: 2023/6/21 11:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 48 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved