Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

Pack120c, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rebuilding a sylphon thermostat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I rebuilding the thermostat on my 35 1200, I have the bellows, spring and cover. My quest is am I missing any parts? The spring is loose and question if that is correct.I have instructions from Second Chance Garage off the internet which shows a different unit, but have not found any information on the Packard unit-help!!

Attach file:

jpg  1-5.jpg (62.94 KB)
1697_649100a454505.jpg 526X702 px

jpg  1-5.jpg (62.94 KB)
1697_649100ba0c7fa.jpg 526X702 px

Posted on: 2023/6/19 20:29

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Rebuilding a sylphon thermostat
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Digger Dave
See User information
I just rebuilt mine also. It is reassembled now, but it looks like you have all the same parts as I do.

Posted on: 2023/6/21 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I was given a quote by somebody on the upper east coast of $800. It was a short conversation. I opted for a $400 reproduction from Max. I’d like to know if rebuilding it yourself is worth the time given the cost to buy. Do you need special shop equipment?

Posted on: 2023/6/21 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
As of today all you need is an 1/8 inch drill, soldering iron and methyl alcohol,
when I refill the the bellows with alcohol and solder up the hole, I will let you know if it works. The alcohol was a little over $20.

Posted on: 2023/6/21 18:58

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
You need only a small amount of methyl alcohol, I used ether and added only 1-2 teaspoons in a 1929 Sylphon. It vaporizes to expand the bellows. Too much might burst the bellows.

Posted on: 2023/6/22 1:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
You don't say what kind of ether, but that's not the same as methyl alcohol at all.

Posted on: 2023/6/22 5:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
It was medical ether, I had been told that it was what was originally used in the Sylphon units. Whatever is used today needs to go from liquid to gas, it's that change of state from liquid to gas that expands the bellows.

Posted on: 2023/6/22 6:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The hardest part of rebuilding this unit was getting the methyl alcohol inside through the small hole. I injected in with a medical syringe, about 10 drops at a time. With two people, one could pull the unit apart as injecting. Will see if I got enough alcohol into the unit in a few years when I put it back together. Solder up the hole and your go to go. Dell

Attach file:

jpg  1-13.jpg (35.34 KB)
1697_64bc0e6a540a8.jpg 522X696 px

Posted on: 2023/7/22 12:14

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DM37
See User information
"Dell"

A few follow up questions:

1) Presuming the bellows cavity was empty. How much Methyl alcohol volume did you inject through the pinhole?
2) When you tested it thermally, from room temperature to peak 195 deg F (or whatever your peak test temp was), what was the total measured stroke on your units center shaft? (factory manual says 9/16", or 0.5625")
3) At which temperature did you notice the stroke beginning to change perceptibly/dramatically

Many Thanks, Dan

Posted on: 2/25 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Dan; There was alcohol in the bellows which I drained out. I experimented by injecting an unknown volume of methyl alcohol in, It has the lowest boiling point of the alcohols. I soldered up the hole and heated the unit up and it worked. I keep no records of volume or temperature, just wanted to see if I could get it to work. It will be several years before my 1200 is ready to test it.

Posted on: 2/25 12:59

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved