Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 super clipper rear courtesy light
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
does the rear courtesy light connected with the front courtesy light.

I just noticed my rear courtesy light is not working but front lights are

thks

David

Posted on: 2023/7/11 15:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 super clipper rear courtesy light
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Rear lights only work when the rear doors open or the B-pillar switch is used.

Posted on: 2023/7/11 15:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No. They are completely separate harness assys. The front door or courtesy switches operate the front courtesy lights and the rear door courtesy switches operate the rear lights.

Normally, If you have the two rear courtesy lights located in the front seat back the rear door switches will operate those. The quarter panel reading lights are operated by the pillar switch only. If you do not have the seat back lights then the rear door switches and pillar switch with both operate the single overhead light.

On cars where the rear courtesy and quarter lights are operated separately, it is relatively easy to add a jumper inside the pillar to make the rear door and pillar switches operate all rear lights. That may have been done at dealers or started being done in later models at the factory. I have seen cars having both arrangements.

Here are the front courtesy lights and two versions of rear courtesy light circuits. I was able to work out the separate rear circuits with the seat back and two quarter panel lights when I did my 47. Believe that seat and quarter panel lights are only in 2106 Customs but could be wrong.

Attach file:

jpg  2106 Front courtesy light .jpg (29.48 KB)
209_64ae196c4c267.jpg 263X1200 px

jpg  2106 rear courtesy.jpg (91.18 KB)
209_64ae19ab67c31.jpg 1650X1275 px

jpg  21st single rear courtesy.jpg (61.99 KB)
209_64ae19c63cfd0.jpg 652X1194 px

Posted on: 2023/7/11 16:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
thks Howard

Do front and rear lights connected together at the body light headlight fuse? What I am getting at if the front lights work then the rear lights are getting power?

David

Posted on: 2023/7/12 5:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The front and rear lights are in two separate looms and not connected in any way except they both get power at the same time from the same aux fuse on the headlight switch. In the factory wiring diagrams that power supply point is labeled body feed and in the AEA diagrams, to body lights.

While I show 3 distinct postwar looms above, even if both courtesy light options are installed there are only two of them used in a 4 door sedan. Front loom is the same for all but the rear loom varies depending on model and how many lights are located in the rear seat area. It is possible to interconnect the looms so all lights work when any door opens but since the rear door switch wire runs overhead it would be difficult to do properly without damaging the headliner. If the headliner is out then easy to do. A wire could also be run under the carpet to connect directly to switches. While not as easy since it would require working a bit blind at one spot, not impossible. One possible downside is if all the lights and switches are interconnected using the pillar switch would also turn on the front lights. NOTE: This interconnect possibility is for postwar Clippers only. The 41-2 models may be different because some prewar front courtesy light options had the door switch interrupt power instead of providing the ground.

I have not seen a 2 door wiring diagram or car up close enough to know what the differences might be and exactly how or where any lights are placed. There may just be a single loom for all the lights with the doors or a pillar switch turning them all on. Perhaps someone with a 2 door can explain the operation or if the rear lights just operate with a pillar switch or go on with a door opening.

Attach file:

jpg  factory.jpg (44.31 KB)
209_64aebe0fb7097.jpg 826X554 px

jpg  AEA.jpg (62.80 KB)
209_64aebe1d246ad.jpg 736X542 px

Posted on: 2023/7/12 9:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Yes! Howard is absolutely correct. I personally saw those wires and cut them off during my rewire. I ran a new wire harness from underneath, and added that wire to the new harness. If I ever replace the headliner, then I'll bring that power back to the rear of the car. It's just not worth having a fire over.
Dave O.

Posted on: 2023/7/15 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
When I replaced the wiring harness on my 2126, I did not remove the back courtesy light/cigar lighter circuits. Those were abandoned and capped off. As suggested above, routing under carpet and front seat, then under the stainless steel door sill, I managed to fish the "blind spots" that Howard mentioned and wired all courtesy lights in parallel front to back. In that power lead, managed to fish additional power to the reading lights that operate thru a slide switch between quarter window and ashtray. All courtesy lights come on when any door is opened. I did add an additional fuse box fed from the head light switch which gives easy access for body lights, clock, dash compartment light, radio and heater fan circuits each with a proper sized fuse. It is mounted directly below the back side of radio/ash tray area. So far...it all works great.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0154.jpg (221.65 KB)
97266_64b440b8033a9.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_0153.jpg (175.16 KB)
97266_64b44136988a2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/7/16 14:11
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Wonderful!. It looks great. It's nice to know it can be done another way.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/7/17 6:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Thks to all wiring diagrams for rear lights are great to have. I found the problem-the wire attaching to body lights fuse had come lose-it seems the wire is not long enough and may need to be lengthened

David

Posted on: 2023/7/20 8:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved