Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 237

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Old cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
It might cost you some money and time, But get them safe and going and drive them!. You may buy a great car original car, but be prepared for wiring, and past neglect repairs. Get in there. Get your hands dirty and learn from others, these are basic cars, that don"t need special
equipment to keep on the road. Fix them keep them safe to drive, and enjoy them. Most especially enjoy all the experience, including getting your hands dirty. As much as sometimes you may say, " Is It Worth It" it will be.
It;s worth the journey!.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/7/17 19:48
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Re: Old cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I agree up to the point of tools and know-how.
As these vehicles age, they become less and less restorable, from sitting unprotected, parts decline, etc. Encouraging the unsuspecting to glom on to what's "available at the time" and things will go astray. P's maybe desirable but have more or less relatively low volume and parts continue to evaporate. I just saw someone on another brand site, guy even acknowledges he shouldn't have, and calls it a rust bucket. First thing he does is turn to the internet for answers/showing off his "prize"? Ron White has a slogan for that. I wouldn't encourage that as the pile shrinks.
Back in the day, these cars were much more available and in better condition and parts where available. Today, it pays to be discerning. It's not that easy, more costly, and declining know how. Values have not risen proportionately in most cases. Know what you're getting into before you try.("look before you leap" has worked for centuries)
Just ask yourself; if that "prize" took ~2000 manhours at the factory with trained people, all new parts available to assemble, why do you think it's a small task to return it to former glory - now?

Posted on: 2023/7/18 9:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I always tell people to buy the best condition car they can afford. It will be cheaper in the long run.

That is not always an option for some people.

Also, interior and exterior are generally more expensive than mechanical. So "it is rusty, but it runs", is less desirable than "the body and interior are great, but it doesn't run".

Both my cars fail to follow the above rules. So lots of sweat equity involved.

Posted on: 2023/7/18 11:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
For years I have advised folks contemplating buying a 'good running car' or 'tour ready'....
Insist on driving the car 50 miles on highways, city, rough pavement, etc to demonstrate the car does not overheat or break down BEFORE the money changes hands.

Posted on: 2023/7/18 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I bought mine with the intention of learning how to work on old cars. Previous to owning it, the only experience I had with working on vehicles was fluid changes and suspension work on newer cars and trucks.

I got way more than I bargained for with my Panama because I had no idea what to look for. In the end I came out with hands on experience with:
1.) welding
2.) metal fabrication
3.) painting
4.) headliner installation
5.) door panel fabrication
6.) drum brakes
7.) axles and bearings
8.) cooling systems
9.) distributors, points, and timing
10.) carburetor rebuilding
11.) fuel pump rebuilding
12.) generator rebuilding
13.) glass replacement
14.) vintage electrical

Lots of time and money invested. But this was never about making money on the car. I have no intention of ever selling it. It was a way to learn, have fun, and make memories with my family.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/7/18 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Mine was driven 300 miles home after I bought it, ...on the back of a tip & load! No regrets!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/7/18 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
I guess that everyone has there own opinion
I think research in the beginning is the key
You should find a model and manufacture that you like, be familiar with the market rate for that car, see how hard it is to get parts (120 vs twin six), and buy the best one that is available for the price.
All the time I see nice cars going for what a good strip and paint would cost
In the end, it a hobby, if you go into it thinking your going to make money, you will be surprised. A boat or an RV is a hobby. You would probably do better getting a part time job flipping burgers
With that said, it a great feeling when somebody walks over at the local Dairy Queen, and say you have a great looking car
Just my take

Posted on: 2023/7/18 12:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Having had about 8 boats and an RV, they weren't a hobby, they were aides for my prime hobby which made expenses at least. Cars fall back to third or fourth. Those assets mostly just depreciate and you trade them like a used car. You eat the wear and tear(cost/mile) and market valuation changes. When you pull a rusting hulk out of a field/garage, that's real commitment and shouldn't be viewed lightly or left to impulse. Gambling has better/fixed odds.

The caveat emptor: when you buy a "needs restoration" vehicle, there's a lot involved and more than most will admit in time and money to excuse it as a hobby. I'm not sure if the internet has helped or hindered in that regard. From one view, it aides in getting info, (but shifts the burden to knowledgeable others) in another it spreads the infection faster. I gave up my other site because of the time it steals from other tasks. Someday, not to distant, I'll probably quit here. Life is constantly moving on. It makes sense why some have "yard art" but that also ruins a vehicle over time for the sake of nostalgia. Nearly everyday, I drive past a pile of about 8 old cars holding up dirt that were used to stabilize a bank, and shake my head what could've been. The throw away society.
I guess everyone is familiar with cars so gets attached/has memories, and that drives the "urge". I started at age 5. Usually, it's because they could not at the time. I think new car manufacturers have the 'they all look alike' disease which destroys desire for one's personal touch vs the styling of yore. Stand out from the crowd so to speak.
Personally, I don't care what people do with their property, so long as it doesn't mess me up, but have seen to many "butchered" in the name of restoration or customizing. Or taken apart and then quit on for various reasons. It's just a personal pet peeve, so to speak. Someone had to carefully protect or otherwise repair those "good ones" and it doesn't just happen. It takes money, time, tools, and know how - act accordingly. If one wants to learn the craft, there are trade schools now for that vs DIY. It's kind of like they say for the world, leave it in a better condition than when you got it. Otherwise, there won't be any left at some point.

Posted on: 2023/7/20 9:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved