Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
255 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 251

Oldcaddies , Don B, pmhowe, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: GM transmission and push button shift.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I seem to recall seeing in one of the hot rod suppliers a push button kit for modern automatic transmissions being installed in older vehicles. Worth a look.

Posted on: 2023/8/20 12:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You are correct. The first one I saw was made, I think, by MoonEyes. Saw it installed on an old hot rod TV show maybe in the 90s featuring a well known Southern Calif customizer who I believe is no longer with us. Did not find that specific unit still available so probably discontinued or sold to someone else.

There is a current unit made by PCS Powertrain that appears to be operated by a microprocessor. I don't know if it would be possible to make the Packard buttons work with it. Unless the microprocessor or if you physically could reorient the button lettering, doubt their small button assy would look or work very well in the Packard pod either..

Posted on: 2023/8/20 12:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
after reading instructions looks like each stop is programed in during set up expensive but if it can be made to work could be a way to go. From what I read will work with GM trans

Posted on: 2023/8/20 15:40
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
I'm with Ross on this one. I think the easiest way to adapt the pushbuttons on the 56 to the GM trans would be to create a new contact plate within the shift motor.

Shouldnt be difficult. Make a degree wheel and see where each shift point is on the twin ultramatic. Do the same to the gm transmission and you have a basic design. From there the contact plate could probably be 3D printed and adapted to the shifter on the GM trans.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 8:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I'm with Ross on this one. I think the easiest way to adapt the pushbuttons on the 56 to the GM trans would be to create a new contact plate within the shift motor.

Maybe and a new finger layout has been brought up before but I think there might be more involved which needs some consideration. That other stuff is the reason I was curious if anyone actually thinking of buying a kit had approached Bendtsen.

Ross made a good point in that the Packard actuator is not the most reliable piece of engineering Packard ever came up with and those of us who have the PB shift know the motor is not the strongest and can be an issue when it comes to pulling the trans out of park in some situations. No idea if motor strength would be an issue with GM trans.

Another question even if a new finger layout could be made might be how the modified actuator would attach to the GM trans. On the Ultra the actuator slides directly over the selector valve shaft and a setscrew tightens down to position and hold it on the shaft and trans. The heavy shaft is the primary method of support with a small straight bar bolted between the trans and actuator only there to prevent weight of the motor or the motor torque from twisting the actuator assy instead of the shaft. Admittedly, I have not seen a GM trans up close but just looking at photos I would wonder if the GM shaft could be made to work or if something would be needed as a transition piece between the trans and actuator. If so, is there enough room before hitting the body or frame to bring the actuator away from the trans to accommodate a transition piece plus any other attaching means needed to bolt the actuator to the trans.

The RR and the PCS actuator bolt to the trans case with RR at the rear using a lever and rod arrangement or PCS appearing to bolt to the opposite side and using a push-pull cable to make the connection. With the Packard X frame and close body am wondering if something directly on the shaft or even like the RR would be possible if a Packard actuator could be modified.

Attach file:

jpg  700r4-transmission-non-super-duty.jpg (28.99 KB)
209_64e378351e7fa.jpg 640X425 px

jpg  rr assy.jpg (180.13 KB)
209_64e3784582abd.jpg 1000X1379 px

jpg  PCS actuator.jpg (74.74 KB)
209_64e37853deb34.jpg 1542X914 px

Posted on: 2023/8/21 9:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:

Maybe and a new finger layout has been brought up before but I think there might be more involved which needs some consideration. That other stuff is the reason I was curious if anyone actually thinking of buying a kit had approached Bendtsen.

Ross made a good point in that the Packard actuator is not the most reliable piece of engineering Packard ever came up with and those of us who have the PB shift know the motor is not the strongest and can be an issue when it comes to pulling the trans out of park in some situations. No idea if motor strength would be an issue with GM trans.

Another question even if a new finger layout could be made might be how the modified actuator would attach to the GM trans. On the Ultra the actuator slides directly over the selector valve shaft and a setscrew tightens down to position and hold it on the shaft and trans. The heavy shaft is the primary method of support with a small straight bar bolted between the trans and actuator only there to prevent weight of the motor or the motor torque from twisting the actuator assy instead of the shaft. Admittedly, I have not seen a GM trans up close but just looking at photos I would wonder if the GM shaft could be made to work or if something would be needed as a transition piece between the trans and actuator. If so, is there enough room before hitting the body or frame to bring the actuator away from the trans to accommodate a transition piece plus any other attaching means needed to bolt the actuator to the trans.

The RR and the PCS actuator bolt to the trans case with RR at the rear using a lever and rod arrangement or PCS appearing to bolt to the opposite side and using a push-pull cable to make the connection. With the Packard X frame and close body am wondering if something directly on the shaft or even like the RR would be possible if a Packard actuator could be modified.

Those are all valid concerns. Unfortunately I would need to have the trans in the car to make that determination.

I only have access to the twin ultramatic, not a 700R4. So I could easily measure the shaft and motor connection on that trans, but would need a 700R4 trans to get the similar dimensions on that. and with the 700R4 on hand, a comparison could be made on whether it would be able to bolted up to the shift shaft, or would need a remote mount.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 10:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Exactly and the same situation I ran into. For me getting rid of PBs is not an option and without having a known solution, no reason to buy an adapter and trans only to have it not be usable.

Bendtsen's early info when they prototyped the 55 in 2011 to design the adapter and sell the first V8 kits made no mention of PBs. Several who were interested in a new trans at that time and for several years after did not have any options other than get rid of PBs which I believe at least one person did. When seeing their latest install bit saying a solution for PBs is available was the first I had heard there was even something in the works and was curious what it might be.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you wanted to get fancy with it, a high-torque stepper motor with something like a Raspberry PI controller board could be used to precisely control the rotary position on the shift input shaft. The rest is all in the program that runs it and the input triggers from the PB unit.

But I would be surprised if there wasn't something out there already in the GM aftermarket that would do that out of the box.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 12:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
But I would be surprised if there wasn't something out there already in the GM aftermarket that would do that out of the box.

I suspect that is exactly what the PCS actuator is doing since the shift positions can be programmed. They just use a push-pull cable drive to the shift lever instead of being connected directly or with a rod.

How easy it would be to get the Packard PBs to interface directly to some kind of microprocessor input is a question since they would be electrically very noisy both with button action and probable feedback or pickup from adjacent happenings.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 12:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A Raspberry Pi can have multiple pull-up and pull-down inputs that can respond to on / off situations. The programming can look for switch bounce and things like that. So it could be set to trigger after the state of a button changes, and that state is maintained for a period of time. Like 500ms. Which should account for bounce.

Posted on: 2023/8/21 13:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved