Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 225

humanpotatohybrid, Leeedy, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 31 »

Re: ZIS 110
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
I have a trivial question...this schematic shows only one hose into each lift cylinder. I know the later systems used two (fluid in and fluid out). What would happen if two windows were halfway lowered and simultaneously the switch fer one was depressed--opening the solenoid and the other was raised--opening the solenoid and activating the pump. Would they both rise?

Posted on: 2009/4/9 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I can't answer that from experience since it's wildly unlikely that my Limo will ever have working hydraulic windows, but I believe your supposition is correct... both windows would rise.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 23:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard never used a 2 hose system on windows--just convertible tops. In addition to both windows raising in your question, another interesting thing is if the pump pressure is too high, just raising one window can push another valve open or off it's seat and any lowered window will also raise without it's switch being touched.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 22:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know I'm frequently full of hot air, but I do not smoke!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 14:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
2 hose system would be pressure applied on either side of the piston to force raise or lower. That would require the reversible pump like 55-6 convertibles or the reversing valve as in 48-54 convertibles. The windows always had just a single hose at bottom of piston. They were very inexpensive cylinders but adequate for the purpose--until they leak.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 16:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
With regard to the quote--there is no master control, but there are controls for the rear windows beside the ashtray. Lincoln did not provide front controls for the rear windows on the prewar Customs or postwar sedans equipped with hydraulic regulators. Chrysler appears to have provided switches for all four windows on the 1941 and 1942 Imperial Town Sedans at the center of the dash, presumably by the ashtray.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 16:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks like two starter solenoids that have been linked together. Weird stuff.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 20:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is two electrical solenoids. The tube connecting them at the center indicates they are mechanically interlocked so both cannot be on at same time. If it is part of your hydraulic window setup, it would pobably be used as the control for the reversing pump

Attach file:

jpg  (21.73 KB)
209_49e685f158df1.jpg 523X303 px

Posted on: 2009/4/15 20:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard,

Gotcha. Today we would replace that with 2 bosch style relays to handle the current reversing.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 20:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quick and inexpensive way to do it and they probably had lots of room for the assy. You're right, today we'd use two relays with a set of N.O. and N.C. contacts each. N.O. set would energize the respective solenoid and N.C set would break the control to other relay--an integrated circuit would do both. Doing it then would probably cost 3-4 times what that did.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 20:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved