Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
263 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 261

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel pump by pass
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I added an electric fuel pump to aid in cold starts.
Now my machanical pump is leaking and it may take awhile to get a replacement (on back order at Max M)

Would there be a problem to just by pass the mechanical pump and use the electric one?

I was not planning on removing the original pump, just connecting the input and output hoses together and using the electric pump.

Would I need to seal the openings in the mechanical pump?
Would this work until a get a new pump, or it make more problems I’m not thinking of?
I understand the old pump would still be working, but running dry.
Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2023/8/29 18:52
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel pump by pass
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It should be fine. Others have bypassed the pump when they have had to.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 19:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just need to make sure your electric pump pressure is not too high. If you have a regulator after the pump then should be OK but if not, a 2 to 5 psi pump would match your mechanical but an 8 to 10 psi pump could be iffy. That higher pressure might overwhelm the carb float valve without the resistance provided by going thru the mechanical pump and its internal filter lowering the pressure a bit.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 19:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
I think it would be better to remove the existing pump and put a blockoff plate on rather than take a chance on the pump breaking up due to no load and over flexing of an already torn diapraghm.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd be inclined to remove and store the mechanical pump. Don't trash it! They're getting scarce.

A block off could be easily fabricated,
and removing the pump will prevent any further wear on it. It will also increase airflow in the underhood area and prevent any issues with noise, oil leakage, rubber shedding into the crankcase, etc, related to the pump.

You will lose the vacuum booster function, but for that to work dependably, you'd need to rebuild the pump.

Many modern vehicles use an electric vacuum pump, and adding one of those and a vacuum reservoir would provide better than stock wiper performance.

Ive had a number of cars with vacuum wipers and no booster. I've found them adequate for most driving situations.

I believe that Packard recommended a fuel pump pressure of 2.5 to no more than 3 lbs. Most electric pumps will exceed that. I'd want to use a good pressure regulator in conjunction with an electric fuel pump.

Excess fuel pressure will tend to cause difficulties with carburetor flooding and poor fuel mileage due to inconsistent regulation of fuel level in the carburetor bowl.

Posted on: 2023/8/30 7:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Most of us are not driving our Packards in poor weather anyways. So wipers not a huge deal.

Posted on: 2023/8/30 7:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There's two problems pressure and delivery/flowrate when you install an electric pump on a formerly mechanical. Most of what's out there is made for FI and is too high pressure and recycles the excess flow to the gas tank w/ or w/o a regulator. Some are internally/self regulated.
It's probably obvious that yours has too much pressure, if it ruptured the mechanical's diaphragm or leaks out the housing. There is one I used(12VDC) that's made for carb cars that has the right pressure and flow. I'm not aware of 6Vs. It's a bit noisy but works in a full replacement where mechanical is bypassed. It's also wise to go the extra mile and do the electrical upgrade(relays,breaker, and multi-pole pressure switch) to avoid the pump running when it shouldn't. Not enough amperage to run off the ignition.
That info will come with the pump usually and there's a few good online help. Just putting on a manual switch is dangerous.

Posted on: 2023/8/31 12:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Howard is correct. If you choose a pump please make sure it falls within the mechanical pump pressure. The MoTors manual for a 22nd Series mechanical pump is listed at 3/3/4 PSI. My car has the mechanical pump bypassed. It was that way when I bought it. The last owner said it was that way when he bought it, and he had the car for 10 years. Its just a small inline pump, no return. I recently tried to lean out the carb, the car is running way too rich. I couldn't make any adjustments. I believe the pump is putting out too much pressure. So this week I'll be putting in a regulator and gauge. Then I'll try to adjust the carb. So I.d put in a regulator and gauge as well. I purchased the two on amazon for $45.00 total.

Posted on: 2023/9/3 6:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved