Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 250

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1931 - No charge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
For some unknown reason, I'm not getting a any charge out of my 31 Standard 8. Cutout/regulator and generator were rebuilt a couple years ago and everything was fine just a couple weeks ago.

Basically, with the engine running I'm not getting any positive charge. The ammeter will show a discharge when the engine is off and lights on, so I don't think it is the gauge. With the engine running, voltage at the battery terminals is jumping all over the place, but not greater that 6 volts.

I'd like to conduct Dave's frequent advice to test the system ie ground the field terminal on the regulator or generator, rev engine and see if system charges ratably or at max etc., but need clarity on what to ground. The generator has two wires coming through the case that attach to the underside of the cutout/regulator, which in turn has two terminals one marked "Bat" and "Gen". Bat is connected to a lead and Gen is not connected to anything. What need I ground so that I don't fry anything? Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/9/9 12:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 1931 - No charge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
See my post '32 901 Sedan Generator Polarization it might help.

Posted on: 2023/9/9 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks Marty. I'll give it a try. Just curious -- Did your generator put out current one day and not the next? What would cause the generator to lose polarity -- in my case I haven't hooked up the battery backwards or done anything electrical to the car. Thanks.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 5:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I took over a restoration. While I have no records that show generator had been rebuilt when I got it, it looks like it had been rebuilt. I just finished the restoration and it has never charge during the short periods that I ran the engine.

Looking into the generator issue was low on the priority list. Some people say you should re-polarize a generator system everytime the battery is replaced. I have never found that to be a problem in the generator systems I've had.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Greenfield wrote:
Thanks Marty. I'll give it a try. Just curious -- Did your generator put out current one day and not the next? What would cause the generator to lose polarity -- in my case I haven't hooked up the battery backwards or done anything electrical to the car. Thanks.

Believe the usual reason for a generator to suddenly stop working is brush problems. A loose connection or broken wire, or one of the contacts or components in the regulator or cutout could also have failed.

In some of the 3 brush generators the max amp output is monitored by a fuse in the cutout assembly and excessive current produced by the generator sometimes caused by a brief short of misadjustment of the third brush could have caused the fuse to blow.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 10:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Well, there weren't any problems with the generator or with the control unit. Everything looked and tested good. My generator man told me that to repolarize the unit, just attach a lead from the Bat side of the regulator and flash to the Gen side. Seemed to work fine as everything operated as it should. Many thanks to all for their input.

Posted on: 2023/9/24 6:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved