Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 193

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine gets too hot
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike
See User information
Hi, In my 1937 8 cylinder 120, the cooling water boils after a short load on the engine. what do you say? is the cooler the problem? Water pump is new. Engine completely overhauled.

Greetings and thanks Mike

Posted on: 2023/9/15 13:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine gets too hot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Go over and recheck the torque on the head bolts. It may not necessarily leak, but heat transfer from the head to the block and exhaust gasses close to the water in the head may cause it to heat up too much. Properly torqued head bolts not only keep the seal but help separate the hot combustion chamber from the coolant and also prevent any gas escaping into the coolant under pressure allowing bubbling of the system and excess heat. Worth a try anyway.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/9/15 13:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check your timing to make sure it's correct.

Also, make sure your exhaust isn't partially blocked.

When I first started the Jaguard, it blew half-burned acorns out of the exhaust pipe!

Posted on: 2023/9/15 14:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Is your thermostat installed?

Posted on: 2023/9/15 16:38
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
What is the condition of the radiator?

Posted on: 2023/9/15 21:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike
See User information
I've tried it with and without a thermostat and nothing changes

Posted on: 2023/9/16 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Engines normally run cooler with a proper thermostat. If the engine performs well otherwise, you probably have a radiator or water pump issue. Clogged radiators are very common on older cars, especially the ones with rag seal water pumps and non-pressurized systems.`Packard 8s have a water distribution tube inside the block that directs cooling water flow.These can corrode or go missing, which will cause overheating. It's possible the water pump impeller is damaged or has come off the shaft. Late ignition timing can cause overheating. Initial timing can be incorrect or the distributor advance mechanism(s) may be inoperative or out of adjustment.

Posted on: 2023/9/16 15:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike
See User information
I'm going to have a new radiator net installed. But I'll try the ignition timing again first.

Greetings and thanks Mike

Posted on: 2023/9/17 3:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Be sure the ignition is in good order, and be sure the radiator core isn't loaded with dust, bugs, lint, grass seeds, etc. That stuff can embed deep among the tubes and block a lot of airflow. Dirt dauber nests in the exhaust system can cause issues. A stuck manifold heat valve (Very common issue)can contribute to overheating and flooding. Some cars have tailpipes that are prone to hitting curbs or other obstructions and can be bent in such a way that exhaust flow is restricted. Mufflers can be plugged with mouse nests, acorns, and other odd stuff.

Posted on: 2023/9/17 12:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
I would back flush the radiator to remove any possible scale in the system that would block the tubes. While you’re at it, back flush the heater core as well. And unless you know its good, replace the thermostat as well as it could be faulty. I’ve seen new ones that were stuck closed.
Doc

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4679.jpeg (19.72 KB)
226376_65079bc3d1786.jpeg 259X194 px

Posted on: 2023/9/17 19:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved