Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Best Lubricants to Use
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm getting ready to check lubricant levels in my '32's Steering Box, Transmission, & Rear End. What do some of you use? Would a 90 weight like GL-1 be fine?

Posted on: 2023/9/18 17:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Best Lubricants to Use
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A 90 weight GL-1 would be fine for the steering gear box, assuming the seal is up to snuff. And also OK for the transmission and Bijur oiler. But the Angleset rear axle uses hypoid gearing and MUST have an "extreme pressure" gear oil, GL-4 at a minimum and preferably a GL-5. I use a SAE 90-140 GL-5 for year-round use.

My '34 Eight has essentially the same powerplant and driveline as your 901 and I've been generally using these lubricants for decades and tens of thousands of miles without any issues. For a time I used a multi-vis GL-4 in my trans and the yellow metal components suffered no ill effects but I did later revert to a GL-1 for the trans.

Was the picture of the EE-22 heat deflector helpful?

Posted on: 2023/9/18 18:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
I use StaLube 140 GL4 ( NAPA) in my 901. I live in South Carolina so operate my car in 80+ temps regularly. Trans does require a double clutch for the first couple of miles but after that a single shift works fine. I always have to double clutch on the downshift from 4th to 3rd. Packard specified 160w in the diff but that is no longer available so 140 is as close as we can come today. Actually they specified 90 in the winter and 160 in the summer. I consider my car to be a summer car here in the south. My steering box did leak a bit with 90w but the 140 cured that.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave I typed up a response to your post, but I guess I didn't click the post button. I wrote it again this morning and posted it this time.

Thanks to everyone for the gear oil question.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 10:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved